• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone in the San Diego area?

Steve Swann

Member III
Best opinion to get, Tim, is from a competent marine surveyor. Boat looks very clean and fresh-looking. If it checks out, go for it! I've been aboard these and they are really nifty. A little light on tankage, but really a nice, nice, layout. Good luck and let us know!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Steve

I plan on getting a survey but I would want to know if it was a waste of my time and money before doing it. I am basically trying to get around the usual broker's BS before I commit any resources to this boat.

Tim R.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice lookin' Ericson

No personal knowledge of that boat, but the listing is interesting more for what is left out as much as what (little) is mentioned.
My uninformed from-the-hip snap judgement is that it's a very minimally-equipped stock boat with two tired-out sails. The standing rig and instruments are overdue for replacement. The Autohelm 3000 in the photos may be dead and that's why, about 5 to 7 years ago, they bought another AH4000 (now two models back). Engine hours are not mentioned; one wonders why.
Some canvas is new, indicating that the originals got too sun-rotted and ratty.
After that, the news is likely all good.
You get to put your own new-tech instruments on it and some new sails and really make it a "new millenium" Ericson. You will trust the rig because you replaced it.
I wonder if it has left the dock in the last five years?

A hull and condition survey and an engine survey will tell you all you need to know. Take notes and follow those surveyors around. The money you pay is tuition and the education is priceless.

This opinion only worth about a penny, unfortunately.
:)

Loren

Steve Swann

Member III
Tim,

I don't know a way around the broker crap, either. To me, the ideal way to buy a quality used boat is to know an owner who is energetic, well heeled, and talented with the passion to make the boat perfect - then will sell it to you! Anyway, if the boat is as clean as the pictures suggest, it may be worth having to listen to the broker drivel until you can politely escape it.

My wife, Tawni, likes the bigger Ericsons (we have a 25), and if this is what it is going to take to get her to move aboard, we may be following your example someday soon. Good luck with your endeavor and hopefully, you'll have few trials and tribulations and get a chance to fall in love with a new mistress...

Steve Swann

Seth

Sustaining Partner
San Diego brokers

I know a few of them in San Diego. If you would like a referral, contact me on the private message system.
Cheers,
S

Skip Jim

Member II
San Diego

I don't know that boat, but I could go look at it for you. I have a 1971 35-2 for sale in San Diego. If you come down, you should look at mine. It is super clean and has lots of new equipment, great boat. Let me know if you want me to look at the 34. Jim

Raybo

We just bought an E-35 MK II in San Diego a couple of months ago. If you haven't picked a broker PM me. The guy I used is about as a straight as you could hope for. He raced sailbots before he sold them, so he's a "sailor" first.

We looked at a lot of boat (photos) on YW. And then went and looked at several in person. The pictures on there tend to "overrate" the boats in general, IMHO. You really need to see the boat in perosn to make a judgemnt

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Who is he?

If he raced a lot in SD-I might know the guy-you can PM if you don't want the name public..
Thanks
S