• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solid Vang

hodo

Member III
Has anyone had any experiences with the Garhauer solid vangs. They seem to have a pretty good price. I have a 85 E 38. I know there are some trade-offs versus Hall and Forespar, but for cruising, are they significant? Thanks in advance, Harold S/V Mischief Maker :devil:

Guy Stevens

Trade offs????

I don't know about any trade off's my thoughts are they are superior in every way.... After installing a bunch of a variety of different brands, I find it hard to beat Garhauer...

Guy
:)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
They are great

As good or better than anything out there. Enjoy the bennies of the solid vang!
S

Mike Thomas

Member II
Garhauer solid vang.

Own one and love it. Affordable, serviceable and effective. Well worth the money. I don't know about the other brands because I've never used one but I can tell you that everyone (who's opinion counts) that comes aboard likes mine....

Mike T

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The most "vang" for your b.u.c.

One vang caveat -- the factory solid vang on the O-34 had a gas pressure return cylinder inside. It was mostly leaked out and worthless when we bought our '88 model in '94. :(

I replaced it with a spring return model made by a local company and it is still working just fine. Hood Systems bought the rights to it and now sells it for quite a lot of money. Here is a link.
http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.n...82b31ba21faa5eb1852567c9006d3049?OpenDocument

If I were buying one now, I too would go with Garhauer.

Loren

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
I have a Garhauer on an E-38
Works great. They even made a special size connector for the base of the mast so that it fits in the stock fitting.