• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rudder stops

mvilaret

I have an 1986 38-200. In making plans to install a below deck autopilot, I could not find the rudder stops along the quadrant. There was no visible location where they had been. I would think that there were some in the original design. Anybody know if there were some and where they were located. I plan on placing some as the amount of rotation of the quadrant without makes the movement for the ram arm too long. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
mvilaret

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
On my 1985 32-3 the rudder stops are L-shaped aluminum stock bolted to the underside of the cockpit sole in line with the pedestal. The quadrant has a rubber coated shaft in line with the rudder which fetches up against the stops. I am sure you have a lot more space on a 38. My autopilot ram is attached directly to the quadrant because of lack of space for attachment of an arm to the rudder shaft. (However, the quadrant was specially reinforced with 1/4" aluminum plate). Consequently, I had to get long arm version of the (Simrad) ram because of the large diameter of the quadrant as compared with the special purpose arm. In any event, I am not sure you want to limit your rudder travel just to save a little money on the autopilot.

mvilaret

Thanks for the info. The problem isn't for saving money as I'm redoing alot of systems including a new cabin sole (though if I can save I will but not to compromise quality). It has to do with the fact the the current travel distance for the quadrant will be 14.5 inches without stops. The RAM arm on the autohelm 5000 and BG autopilot has a max range of 10 inches. Without limiting the rudder with stops, the autopilot would take the stop load which is not good. A short tiller arm of 7 inches would help, but both units rec. 10 inches min for the tiller arm. I had not considered the simrad with the longer arm. Where did you mount the arm unit? Finally, I understand that the autohelm 4000 now comes with an "MK2" drive which is "suppose" to be for boats to 40 ft. and 18,500 lbs. I'd prefer to use the below deck if possible.
Thanks again,
mvilaret

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Simrad's HLD2000L drive is reported by the Simrad site to have a stroke of 13.4 inches (http://63.66.44.163:8080/docs/faq_specs_DriveUnits.pdf)

It really is the Rolls Royce of autopilots (my came with the boat, but by launching this spring I will have replaced all of the components, but not because they failed after 15 years - it just needed upgrading). Because of the tight space on my 32, my ram is mounted for and aft on a custom shelf protruding into the engine compartment from a vertical wooden brace just inside the engine access panel in the quarter berth. Because your quarter berth is more of a cabin, I am sure you have a different arrangement. I understand from my yard that below deck rams are typically mounted "athwartships".

mvilaret

Athwarships is my plan reinforcing the bulkhead behind the rear cabin. Thanks for the simrad info. I'll check it out. My plan is to also fiberglass in some rudderstops from below the cockpit sole to help limit the rudder and take stress off the cables and pilot.
Thanks again,
mvilaret

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You definitely needs stops if you ever move your boat in reverse. My prior owner used to back out of a slip and apparently let go the wheel more than once because both stops are bent. Had the stops not been there, the rudder would have been seriously damaged.