• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Free NOAA Charts.

SAILSHIGH

Member III
All,

In a recent Boat US Magazine (March 2006)there is a artical that features a way to download free NOAA Charts. There are 1000s of charts online that you can download for free.

Website

www.chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov

Good luck,
Wes Zimmerman :cheers: :cheers:
"SAILS CALL"
1975 E29
Grand Lake OK.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup!

You are right about this being a super nice idea. And it's nice to get charts that work in either format, BSB or vector, your choice.
:)
I have been trying out the former on the Mac, using GPSNavX. Matter of fact, attached is a screen capture of a harbor I entered twice last summer on the Washington coast. (The transparent data window can be moved or made solid.)

Over the decades I have learned to not be too resentful about purcha$ing paper charts, since the fee is really for printing and distribution. The actual data, IMO, I have already paid for, every April 15. :rolleyes:
Now I get the charts fresh from the NOAA server.

An aside: Anyone here tried the "print on demand" charts yet? I always have paper charts on board for backup and this seems like a nice way to be sure of getting the most current info for the b.u.c. spent.

And, yes I have saved and printed sections of my digital charts, but am mindful of how ink-jet printer ink runs when it gets wet... Yikes!

Cheers,
Loren

Attachments

• GraysHarborEntrance.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

jmoses

Member III
Print on Demand

Loren,

the new Print On Demand (POD) is a great feature. I picked up three charts for a delivery to Newport Beach CA recently and the charts are fantastic and dated to the day I purchased them!

The three charts (CA coastal sailing chart, LA and Aproaches and Newport Harbor) ran approximately 18.00 each which was only a buck or two more than the 'in stock' ones - not a bad deal in my book.

They actually have better paper quality than the old stand by ones and the ink is supposedly water proof. In addition, the ink seems more vibrant and the contrast is better.

The only down sides is two-fold:

1. The 'recreational' versions have a bunch of crap on the extended margins (safe boating tips, navigational tips, etc) as well as some adverts for the company that owns the POD format and the Power Squadron. I was told by the woman in Waypoint Navigation here in Alameda CA (who is the West Coast purveyor) that the commercial ones don't have the junk on the sides (this was after my charts were printed, otherwise I would have asked for commercial!). Also, the commercial ones have VTS frequencies and other pertinant information on them such as bridge freqs. etc. for harbor comms. If you go POD, get the commercial versions.

2. The paper is harder to mark on then the old style paper charts. I was told to use a softer lead than normal. I was given a tip from the comemrcial guys to use low stick tape (3M Post-it tape) and use small strips to mark your waypoints, fixes and write any notes. They tape is easier to mark this way and you can remove it when the trip is complete.

Other than that, I think they are a great step forward!

J Moses