• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New England Crusing Guide Recommendations

omgirl

Member II
We are looking for a good cruising guide for New England (N. MA, NH, and Maine). Does anyone have recommendations? Looking for good anchoring spots, general info. and exploration information. We have a new boat and are looking forward to some long weekend exploratory trips this summer. Thanks.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
http://www.coastguides.com/cruisingguides/guides.html

A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast, by Taft and Taft is the BIBLE for Maine sailing. Sailors up here universally refer to it as "the blue book", and there's never any question about what that means. It's frankly the best written cruising guide I've seen for any region.

I've had less luck finding a good cruising guide for Massachusetts though, and I'd like to hear other's recommendations. I've used the mapquest Embassy guides for harbor charts and phone numbers for services. But the descriptions are far too advertising driven, and every little hole gets a luminous review as "the most beautiful shoe manufacturing town in all of new england!" and that sort of blubbering crap.

jkm

Member III
Coastguides is a good book.

You could spend all summer in Casco Bay. My favorite spot is Basket Island, though Cliff Island is what island life all about.

Have a blast and buy your lobster from a guy in a highliner-you'll save a bundle.

John