• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Learning new skills...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I bought myself a set of splicing fids for x-mas this year. I've been spending an hour here or there trying to teach myself the basics of splicing double braid. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong (helps to stick the pointy end in the right spot!) and corrected it. Then I built one of my dogs a cool new "sailor dude doggy" leash. This evening I did my new traveler lines.
It's really a fun feeling to learn new sailor skills...
Anybody learning anything fun?

Attachments

• DSC01307.JPG
    DSC01307.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 134

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Lots-o-Fun!

Chris Miller said:
...Anybody learning anything fun?

I'm learning all about beam deflection and load tracing!!! Want me to explain? :p

//sse

Attachments

• beam-ola.jpg
    beam-ola.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 130

Guy Stevens

Hey Sean

Before you think that this is not sailing related, let's imagine that beam which is cantalevered is actually an unstayed mast, say from a freedom, hunter or the like. And that the graph was inadvertantly printed sideways.

What would the deflection of the beam, I mean mast, be on such a rig, with the uniform force of wind, and how would we cut the sail to take advantage of it????? (I know that the loading is not uniform due to the drag of the wind on the surface of the water, but this is a simulation, if it were really sailing, then the prof would have given Sean a sailboat to play with for the day instead of a calculator and a poorly illustrated book).

I always tried to make those dry engineering classes more fun. Had a prof that would bring in real world examples. Turns out that he was a sailor too, and that in the end he would explain the examples to me based on masts and rigging.

Have Fun,
Guy
:)

Attachments

• gag sean.jpg
    gag sean.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Nice rope work! My wife asked for and received a set of fids for Christmas. Once she learns how to work with single and double braid I won't have too! We have also signed up for a 12 week navigation class. Moving from a small daysailer to the E38 it seems prudent to learn navigation skills. Looking forward to it, it starts next week. RT

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Cool...

Hey Rob, what course are you taking? Powersquadron, sailmaker, other local?

Guy and Sean,
I crew on a race boat full of aero engineers... I studied music in school, so I insist we have some art discussions immediately after anyone mentions Bernoulli!
Chris

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Chris,
Not entirely sure what course I am taking... My wife signed us up though our club and it is being offered by the USCG Auxilliary. Weeks 1-6 are basic navigation, then a mid term exam and certificate if you pass. Then another 6 weeks of advanced navigation and another final, certificate, etc. We'll see. RT