• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mooring recommendations in N. MA or NH?

omgirl

Member II
My husband and I are closing (yee-haw!) on an E 32-200 next weekend. Many people on this site helped us with questions we had before we signed a contract... so THANK YOU for your help. We are both so excited.

We are looking for a mooring in N. MA or NH and wanted any general opinions of good/nice places to moor our boat. We are also hearing about the annual tax required for MA. Does anyone know the rate? What else should we consider when trying to find a mooring? Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Portland, ME

Is a great place to keep a boat. Cheap and it is a great starting off point for going further downeast. You can get a mooring for $125.00 a season if you own your own tackle. Lots of great locations to spend the weekend in Casco Bay. Only 2 hours from Boston.

Tim R.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
check for tax deals...

The commonwealth of Virginia is offering people free property taxes on their boat if they keep in particular parts of the state. I guess it's to encourage tourism there (newport news area). Your local govt might do the same. It's worth checking out.
Chris

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'm not aware of any such tax breaks, and I don't think there would be any motivation for it around here because there are not any harbors on the entire coast that lack for boats.

Finding a mooring can be very hard in Massachusetts. A friend of mine a few years ago bought a boat, and then had to wait a year to bring it up here (from the tropics were he bought it) because he was unable to find a mooring. So aside from the difficulty of finding a mooring, here are a few of my favorite spots.
Salem Sound is of course quite nice with good day and weekend sailing destinations, and there are a number of boat clubs and public mooring fields around Salem. Occasionally I've seen a Salem mooring for sale on Craigslist, so might keep an eye on that.
Rockport and Gloucester are very nice, but they can be quite a drive unless you live on Cape Ann.
Newburyport is a very pretty spot, but the daysailing destinations are somewhat limited (basically Isle of Shoals).
Portsmouth is nice too, if a bit industrial in some areas, but again the daysailing destinations are limited (not that I don't love IOS, but it might get a bit dull).
I love Portland, and if you'd consider heading that far north you'll be rewarded with much better cruising grounds, and probably an easier time finding a mooring. There are two public mooring fields that I'm aware of, off Portland Head, and off the East End. Both have nice locations, although the Portland Head field has better scenery. If you find yourself striking out for mooring availability further south, Portland could be worth considering. You can cruise a lifetime in that area and never get bored. Also Portland is an easy days-sail to the southwest end of Penobscot Bay.