• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atomic 4 choke replacement cable?

wurzner

Member III
Can anyone point me to a good source for a replacement choke cable. The stainless varieties I've looked at are in the $100~120 range and that seems a little high. I found the information below at the website listed underneath. It appears that this is the replacement cable and was wondering if anyone could shed some information if I'm on the right track???

Thanks
Shaun

http://www.allaboutfishing.com/Store/products/multiprod.asp?MFG=MORSE&MODEL=33C+RED-JAKET+CABLES

Wire information from website
33c Red-Jaket Cables

Mors Cbl Typ 33c 10ft 10' $29.77
Mors Cbl Typ 33c 11ft 11' $30.77
Mors Cbl Typ 33c 12ft 12' $25.14

J. Barthelmass

I replaced the choke cable on my Atomic 4 (Ericson 29) two years ago. Like you, I looked at the expensive options and came to the following conclusions: 1) The choke cable is not an item that warrants an expensive replacement part. 2) Replacement of the cable is not so difficult that an expensive replacement is warranted to avoid doing the work some years down the road. 3) The cable only moves about one inch back and forth when activating the choke, 4) The cable is not exposed to significant salt spray to warrant (expensive) stainless. Long story short - I went by my nearest auto parts store (Pep Boys) and found a generic cable that works great. The part I used is made by Motormite, a Division of R&B, Inc., P.O. Box 1800, Colmar, PA 18915-1800. I used the #55103 Underhood Remote Control Cable, which retailed at Pep Boys for $4.99. It fit the carburetor bracket and mechanism perfectly, and the length is easily trimmed if you need to. I sugest you pull the cable out of the housing before installation and grease it with something appropriate (I used white grease). After two years of sailing year round, the cable still looks and works like new.