• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Headsail reccomendation for e-27

Ian S

Member III
I sail around the chicago area and currently have a totaly shot 6.5 oz. 135% on a furler. I have not gotten a strait answer out of any sail loft for what an aproprite headsail size would be for general use on this boat. It is a high aspect rig and would like to put as much sail up front as possible, however I am concerned with being overpowered. I realize I can furl it up but if I have to that all the time the sail won't have good shape and it really put's alot of stress on a sail. I was hopping some guys with e-27's could give me some general feedback on the behavior of thier boats with different size headsails and dacron weights. Please note I will sail in anything from 3knts to force 5 and I do have a storm jib for her. Lastly does anyone have a ringing endorsement for one particular loft? Everyone I have talked with could seem to care less wether they outfit me with a full set of sails. Hey bud I know it ain't a J-105 But it's my boat and I do care about sail shape and quality. Just because I'm not a millionaire dos'nt mean that's not a good chunk of
coin relitive to my income. Thanks had to vent there! Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated
Ian S:

escapade

Inactive Member
sail inventory

On the E27 I had (first boat) I had everything from a 170% drifter/reacher to a #4 (100%). Used the 170 more than ANY of the others in the inventory. BTW, I sailed that boat out of Caseville, Mi. (tip of the Mi. thumb in Lake Huron). If I were to go with one sail I would recommend a 150% LP roller furled with possibly a foam luff insert to help maintain shape when you roller-reef for heavier wind conditions.
I had my best luck when talking to sailmakers to tell them what performance curve I was looking for & then going with their recommendations. I'm not familiar with the loft's in the Chicago area but the Doyle loft in Detroit (former UK) has been good to me. Seth is very knowledgeable on the sailmakers in your area. I would give his advice high marks.
Just be aware that there are several different "layers" of sails. Inshore, offshore, club racing, all-out racing, etc. and the sailmaker needs to know what your needs really are. Tell them your intended usage and potential future needs and they should be able to help you out. Good luck.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tall or Std Rig?

Gee thanks Bud!

Ian-If I wanted a one size fits all RF genoa-I would probably go with a 135% WITH a foam luff insert to optimize the reefed sail shape (but remember the optimal genoa lead position chamges as you change the size (LP) of the sail by furling/unfurling. Maybe with the standard rig a 150% might be better, tall rig for sure I would go 135.

The reason I say this goes back to my ideal cruising sail inventory of a RF 135 and a cruising A-sail. In lighter airs, I will use the cruising spinnaker almost all the time, as it will sail ALMOST to close hauled, and who goes close hauled in really light air (and cares about the performance)?

Having said all that, since we are both in Chicago, why don't you contact me directly and we can speak in person and I can help you get squared away with sails and a sailmaker-I know all the guys in town (and I feel your pain!)

It is not hopeless, though! So, send me a private email with a phone # and a good time to chat, and in a few minutes you will know what course to take.

If you like, I could come down to the boat and check things out(when the season starts)-I live 10 miles west of the Loop!

Seeya!
S

Mindscape

Member III
Take advantage of Seth

Ok that sounds a little strange!!! But you should take Seth up on his offer - he is very knowledgeable and can probably help you out in a few minutes. He used to work for Doyle in the Chicago area and also worked with Ericson back in the day. I'd suggest the last guy I used for sails, but it was Seth and you'll have to make up your own mind:)

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Forget headsails, think kites! :) This is my Ericson 27 at the Toliva Shoals race this last weekend.

Attachments

• toliva.jpg
    toliva.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 329

Roger Ware

Member III
beautiful mountain?

Nigel, great photo, for those of us far away, is that Baker, Hood, or perhaps Rainier. Almost as majestic as the Ericson!

Roger, Kingston, ON

wurzner

Member III
That would be Mt. Rainier. Aside from being a beautiful sunny day, the high temperature on the weekend was around 34~38 depending on where you were at. Night time was in the teens which is VERY unusual for us.

Good going Nigel!

Shaun W