• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson/Olson photos

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was surfing the nice CYC San Francisco web site, and, among their many race photos, found a couple to drag-n-drop to the desktop. The Ericson looks kind of like a 38 and of course the closeup of Razzberries is an Olson 34. Added note: I just heard from one of the guys in the photo -- they were between races, just milling around in light air... and did not know the RC took their photo and put it on the web! :)

I only wish I had some photos of our boat under way...

Loren in PDX

Attachments

• picture-27.jpg
    picture-27.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 340
  • picture-35.jpg
    picture-35.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Razzin 'em

:eek: Let's hope those guys are not actually racing when that shot of the 34 was taken! If it is before or between races I would be more sanguine.

Ok guys: What is wrong with that shot for racing trim?

Class? Anyone?
S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
It's hard to tell from that angle, But...

It's really tough to say from that angle, but my first thought would be to---
Get yur fat rear out of the cockpit!!! :cartmann: :soapbox:

Otherwise I'm voting that the slot is all but completely choked off? again, hard to see from that angle.

They are pretty boats, and it looks as if the breeze could be here in July :boohoo:

Thanks for posting nice pics!
Chris

PS. we have a growing fleet of the non Ericson Olsons in our racing fleet. Our 3 Olson 29's and a new (to the area) olson 30 look like they are going to get their own start in our wed. night beercan series (along with a catalina 30 and some J 29's). They all rate within a second or so of each other here.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
And the winner is.......

:D The Mighty Sequoia's owner takes the quiz! Of course this was an easy one, but yes-this is an all-too-common site on the race course, and usually seen just when it hurts the most: Light air!

There seems to be a natural migratory process of crew members towards the aft end of the boat, and scientists are not sure if this is an instinctual, genetic trait or the result of societal conditioning.

What is known and well documented are the unfortunate consequences of such behavior; Ass dragging, poor acceleration, and overall loss of speed-leading of course to susceptibility to attack from predators and longer elapsed times.

The hope is through the miracle of modern science, and genetic engineering, coupled with intense therapy, this horror can be conquered and eliminated from our gene pool.

Let is hope so.
S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
About this 38. Must be an older one than mine as the grab rails and traveller islands are not like my 89' version. Also what gives with the cowl vent on the deck near the toe rail? Hadn't seen that one before.

Lawdog

Member III
the cowl vent is for bringing more air into the quarter berth/owner's aft cabin, just aft of the chart table. I have the same vent and design on my '83 38.
I had the boat a year before I took the dorade box apart, which is usually covered from the inside down below, and discovered what it was. Now I need to find a good condition dorade with the screw base to screw it in. I never previously had taken the deck plate off.

Lawdog

Member III
from a racing point of view, the crew has no beer---cant be having any fun that way!.

Neal
Enterprise

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Beer and Racing...

Lawdog said:
from a racing point of view, the crew has no beer---cant be having any fun that way!.

Neal
Enterprise

I went from a "we drink more beer before 9am than most boats do all weekend" boat to a "no brew till we're through" boat. It was quite a shock to my system... Racing without beer takes some getting used to. I guess that's what cruising is for :cheers:
Chris

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have found that leaving the front hatch unlatched and a beer cooler suspended within reach of the hatch will move the crew forward. If the cooler is large there is the chance of loss of crew overboard.

If this is a race they are waiting for the air to arrive for sure.

Last summer during a race Tom yelled from his Hunter which way is the wind comming from? I yelled back from my E29 I don't know but it hasn't gotten here yet.

hodo

Member III
I'd have to say "Lard to Leeward" to those guys, and, "go find the mast". Hopefully, they are discussing why they are slow in light winds between races. It almost looks like the jib is on the windward side, but maybe its the weight.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
It appears that the head sail is backwinded and the main is hanging like a shower curtain.
The crew looks like they ran out of grog.
The captain has stated "The beatings will continue until moral improves".
The Wind Gods are pissed off.
And, the racers that just pased them gave em the Razzberry!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not racing, after all

I hate to interrupt this string of helpful commentary and interest, but I just heard from the skipper of one of the boats pictured, and they were between races, just milling around in light air... and not too pleased with the conditions, either.
:)

When I used to race a lot in a two-person keel boat, my partner would ususally look around at the pre-start chaos and say: " Hey look, the RC just gave the instruction to Mill ! "
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Okay, got a CD of pics from the previous owner of my E38. Here is a decent one. Hope this works.... RT

Attachments

• P8164240small.JPG
    P8164240small.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 157

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nice picture of a nice boat. I really need to get someone with a skiff and a nice camera out with me on a 15 knot day and get some "action" shots like you see in the racing articles. We have some onboard close-ups where you can see the happy, sun-soaked (miserable, cold rain-soaked) crew, but we have none of our boat that show the beauty of propulsion derived from the wind across triangular dacron rags.

I may be a little biased towards Ericson 38s. Thanks for posting. You will enjoy your Ericson.