• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need Help Obtaining Part for E-29

lisailor

Requesting help in obtaining a part, I believe it's called a "Cutlass Bearing"? It's found inside the strut that holds the propeller shaft, the shaft itself is 3/4 inch in diameter. It appears to be hard rubber or plastic. I've checked the usual places i.e. West Marine, Defender, etc. I may be mistaking the part name or my spelling of it is not correct. If I'm correct on the part name please advise as to a source where it can be purchased. Thanks in advance for your help. Bob

Ray Rhode

Member III
You have the name correct. The problem is that the West Marine catalog calls them shaft bearings and they are found on page 341. I doubt very much that the local stores would stock them but they can be ordered.

kjs

I think "cutless" bearing is a trade name, but lots of people will know what you are taking about. I am looking a West Marine 2001 master catalog, page 341. "Shaft Bearings" are how they are named. You will need your shaft diameter AND the diameter of the hole in your strut to pick one out. - Good luck -

J. Barthelmass

I just replaced the cutless bearing on my '76 E-29. The bearing size was 3/4 inch inside diameter, 1-1/4 inches outside diameter, and 3 inches long. The one I used was a Johnson Cutless Bearing manufactured by Duramax Marine. I had a hard time getting the old bearing out, and ended up pulling the prop shaft and cutting through the old bearing to remove it. Not really as bad a job as it sounds, but I don't want to do it again soon. Good luck on your replacement.