• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

GPS at the helm

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am looking at several models of charting units that I can mount on the SS grab bar at the wheel.
At the moment the Garmin 292C is looking kinda likely. Which antenna -- internal or an external? FWIW, My trips this summer on OPB's included some quality time with one of these and a 172C.

(Mind you, the iBook will still be with us for backup charting, but it has to hide at the nav station out of spray and direct sunlight.)

Anyone ever have a conflict with their steering compass? I note that the install manual sez you need to keep it about a half meter away. This advice gets routinely ignored in every installation I have ever seen.
:confused:

There is a newer version of this unit (at least from the picture) coming out in a couple months. As usual with hi-tech, I wonder whether to buy or wait...
:)
Your thoughts??

Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 Fresh Air

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've used a 276c a lot on our last boat, and it was a great little unit for the money. The screen was nicely readable, and like all garmins i've tried, the interface is very intuitive and easy to use. Our unit had an internal antenna, and that was generally not a problem, although if someone was resting their arm on the binnacle rail the unit might lose signal. We mounted it directly above our binnacle compass without any problem. Maybe it would be worse if it were off to one side?

I just bought a 172 for the boat I'm currently fixing up. It's tiller steered, so I'm flush-mounting it in the bulkhead. For that reason I got an external antenna model.

If your location allows flush-mounting I'd recommend that. Although it's more vulnerable to the elements when the boat's not in use (comes with a cover though) the unit won't be stuck out on a mounting bracket where it can snag lines or get bumped and abused. We actually lost our last binnacle mounted GPS when it was ripped off by the mainsheet during a jibe. (splash) :(

Lew Decker

Member III
Just to add dos centavos worth of personal chagrin - The PO mounted a Garmin 2010C on the binnacle directly over the compass. He then mounted two large external speakers below the winches on either side of the compass. Both speakers have very large magnets and are about 18" away, port and starboard. Chuckle, chuckle. Dear Abbey, is my compass accurate?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have a Garmin 3005c which is small enough to be mounted inside the grab rail just above the compass. Turning it on does not cause any compass deviation.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
3005c questions

I note, from the Garmin web site, that the ability to add radar starts one model up, with the 3006. Geoff, not to put you on the spot, but, is there any reason you did not get the one that included radar input?
Question #2: Are you using the weather info capabilities? This feature looks quite useful... we spent a lot of time in various ports last summer trying to sort out the various (VHF weather channels) weather information concerning wave period, height, and of course fog threats. Having the info on screen would be worth the $30. per month the XM site lists for basic service. Of course they do not say anything about the length of time you have to contract for.
:rolleyes:
Did you have to buy a chart chip for your model 3005? A few Garmin models seem to come with charting built in, and their chips are a considerable extra cost otherwise.
Thanks again,

Loren

Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Loren,

The 3005c is exactly the same as the 3006c, except that it is smaller, has only one data card slot and does not accommodate TV input (so you can watch your engine while you are underway, I guess). Looking at the Garmin site I can see how you would get the impression that radar is not compatible (Garmin seems to have changed the descriptions, maybe because the 3005c, which is half the price, is cannibalizing the sales of 3006c), but if you do the product comparison on the site, you will see that radar is accommodated.

However, the radar dome is 28" in diameter, so it is really appropriate only for a motor boat. Yes, the data chart is extra (the just released 3205 has built in charts though). I have been thinking of adding a sonar speed tranducer (the unit will automatically calibrate the speed transducer with GPS measured speed) but so far the only tri-ducer Garmin has available is huge. I am hoping they get with the program and make it compatible with Airmar's newer smart transducers (including that nifty anenometer/wind vane/gps/inclinometer that has no moving parts. If Maretron can use it, why can't Garmin). The bottom line is that right now I use it only as a chart plotter and to read charging voltage.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
iBook navigating

The iBook is used like most any laptop computer for this, I guess. I have a GPS charting and nav. application (one of several available) and have a little portable USB antenna plugged in. I bought charting on CD's over a year ago when I got started, but now they are available at no cost. Since I went with the app that uses BSB charting, I have the bright colors and contrasts of a NOAA chart. BTW, the antenna is sensitive enough that it works fine sitting on the nav table beside the computer - a benefit I had not expected.

Our iBook has the 14" screen, which is great for viewing charts, movies, photos, and everything else one uses a computer for. When transporting it I sometimes wish I had gone for the 12" model to save some weight and space... and then when I switch it on I'm glad it has the large screen. "Everything's a compromise," as my friend Mike sez. :)
Here is the link for my charting software:
http://www.gpsnavx.com/

They are at the Strictly Sail show each year at Oakland, CA. We have their package deal with the charting application and WAAS GPS antenna. Last year at the show they had a huge 30" cinema display running with an AIS receiver hooked up -- we could watch the various ships moving in real time out in SF Bay.

Technology's wonderful, but I keep a full set of paper charts on hand...
:rolleyes:

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

jkm

Member III
I too use the 14" iBook for movies and music. I was not aware that any charting software was available.
Like most Apple devotees I have an inferiority complex about software-none the less I have always used Macs since my first AppleII.

I'll check out your link to the software. I love this "Information Exchange"

Ray Rhode

Member III
Loren,

You might want to wait until next month to check out the new Garmin series with their new cartography. We are being told that it is a vast improvement over the Blue Chart stuff and will not work in older systems. It includes 3-D underwater charting and is seemless. It also comes pre-installed.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, Ray, but my new Garmin 3005c is sitting on the kitchen table awaiting installation....
As someone once said: "I am not with it; it leaves without me!"

:)

Loren