• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

USVI or BVI bareboat chartering

Quiet Magic

Member II
I am wondering what qualifications are needed to bareboat. Also I'd like to know what the pros/cons of sailing in the USVI or in the BVI are and which, from first hand experience, is a better place to do it. Right now my family is thinking of Chartering through Island yachts in the USVI but we are unsure of our decision. I've heard that there is more of a crime problem in the US islands than in the British ones, is this true?
Thanks for any help.

SeaDog

Member II
BVI Bareboat Charter

The US or British Virgin Islands are a great location for your first bareboat charter. Anchorages are plentiful (mostly moorings), islands are close and generally provide good protection from wind and seas, navigation is simple, snorkeling is excellent, dinner ashore or reprovisioning are available in most anchorages, etc. The charter company will require a sailing resume showing experience in yachts of similar size to that being chartered. You can go to the Moorings or Sunsail web pages to download the required resume forms. Although visual navigation is usually possible, I strongly advise a good foundation in coastal navigation, including chart plotting and DR, bearings, use of gps, etc. Many anchorages have moorings but you should also have good skills in setting an anchor.

I have chartered mainly with Sunsail and I highly recommend them. Although I have not chartered with the Moorings, I have heard nothing but good reports. Both of these companies have relatively new and well maintained boats and both do quality boat and chart briefings before you set out. If you need a little assistance, both can provide a Captain for a half day or more. This past September, I chartered with TMM in Belize. We had a beautiful 2004 Belize 43 but maintenance was not up to Sunsail standards and we did have some difficulties getting the base to turn on their VHF. My experience in Belize may be slightly colored by Wilma passing within a hundred miles of us.

In 2003, we chartered (Sunsail) in the Greek Ionian Islands…. Fantastic but practice med-more because that’s the standard. In 2000, I charted (Sunsail) in St. Vincent and the Grenadines… my absolute favorite in the Caribbean.

Bottom line. Bareboat chartering is easy, relatively inexpensive and FUN! Have a great time… and “just do it”.

Kirby
Skipper, Uff Da, Ericson 32
:egrin:

escapade

Inactive Member
mostly money

We chartered through Sunsail (also) in the BVI about 10 years ago. Would also recommend them. We did not sail in the US side at all (no need to clear in & out of customs that way). Flew into Beef Is. & then picked up our boat. At that time it was mostly anchoring as opposed to mooring balls. Ground tackle was top line (CQR's) w/windlasses. As noted water was warm & clear. Navigation was line of sight, we took a hand bearing compass & never needed it. Chart was basically a place mat size print. Fill out the resume & send them the money (hardest part!) and let the fun begin. One of our best vacations ever!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Mindscape

Member III
Bvi

We've chartered multiple times in the BVI (with Sunsail) and have had nothing but a great time! Sunsail has been good to us. The sailing is easy, and navigation simple. I've only used charts,a compass and DR down there. If you had a GPS it would be only for backup. Anchoring is easy now with all of the moorings, although you should be familar with anchoring in case there are no moorings available.

IMHO if you are a competent costal sailor you should be good to go in the BVI. We've used a captain once, and I wouldn't do it again, not because the captain wasn't helpful, just didn't feel we needed him. If you are uncomfortable, or want some help try a captain for a day or two.

We've had good experience with Sunsail, have heard great things about the Moorings (both are now owned by the same parent). I agree with Bud - the biggest requirement is money. Last time we chartered a cat, and loved it, were able to split the cost between 3 couples which made the cost pretty good for an island vacation.

Have Fun!!!!

Stuart

Member II
chartering

Great to hear all the good things being said about the BVI's and Sunsail as I leave on the 28th of this month for a couple of weeks of chartering with Sunsail in the BVI's. I will be back around the 20th of March and will let you know how it was.
The sent me about a three page form asking questions about experience and other sailing stuff, seemed to be interested if I have operated a boat of the size we chartered.

Cheers

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sunsail in the Grenadines 2 weeks in November. Great company, great location, not crowded. Sailed out of St. Vincent. Nuff Said.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
What I didn't like about the BVI's and the reason I probably won't return is that the Brits do not require holding tanks. So when swimning in crowded anchorages (and they always are) you are basically swimming in a sewer. I came home with an earache, probably the first one I've had in 45 years. Nothing like sitting in the cockpit for breakfast and watching yesterday's meals float by.

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
I've chartered in the BVI 5 times. I can highly recommend them as safe confortable crusing grounds. I would say 90% of the boats you will encounter at this time of the year will be charter boats. Though the BVI's might not require holding tanks they all have them and I can't say I've ever found sewage floating by, but that dosen't mean it dosen't ever happen. I prefer the BVI's over the USVI's. The people are friendier, I never felt unconfortable out at night walking around, something I cannot say about St. Thomas. St. Johns is delightful.

I've chatered with Moorings, which is high end and pretty much all new boats. After 5 years the boats are refitted and turned over the Sunsail. Sunsail is also a great outfit. We had a problem with one of their boats and they where right on it. After the boat runs its course with Sunsail it gets gone over again and is turned over to Footloose Charters. All 3 of these charter conpanies are next to each other. The last two times we chatrted it was with Footloose. The boats are USED, but the saving is great and we never had a problem with the boats.

Have fun. Make sure you hit Cooper Island. Cane Garden Bay is great if no Cruise ships are in. Fozys is a must at least on your fist trip, but I like Harris's. Marina Cay is like landing in a story book and Leverick Bay has a great Friday or Saturday thing that you should try to make. Moor either here od the Bitter End and take the taxi to the Baths. You get to see the whole island and the Baths. Also the Baths should be avoided if a cruise ship is in.

Wow this is getting long. Enjoy. Email me if you need specifics.

Paul

s/v Shadowfax

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Peter Island was nice because it was somewhat out of the way, at least for the BVI's. As for holding tanks, the TMM base on Tortola a few years ago had no means of pumping them out (and if I recall correctly, we were instructed not to use our holding tank). Hopefully things have changed since then.

The best charter spot I've been to so far is the south coast of Turkey. I went last May (Marmaris to Gocek) and am going again in September (Bodrum to Marmaris) (you want to avoid the summer because of the heat and the Meltemi). The water is clear and deep, the scenery is spectacular, the food is good and cheap and the people are friendly. Sunsail has a number of bases that cater mostly to Europeans.

Last edited:

stbdtack

Member III
Geoff,
glad to hear you liked Turkey. It was my first choice, with Croatia a close 2nd and The Seychelles 3rd.
In the end the group I'm going with couldnt agree, so going to Belize in April on a 47 Moorings cat.
The next trip is definitely Turkey. Now Ive got a resource for travel tips there!

QM, Id pick BVI over USVI anyday. Been to both many times and I like the people, culture and anchorages better in the british islands. Probably less crime in the BVI although Road Town has some scary spots too.

SeaDog

Member II
Ben,

The sailing and snorkeling in Belize is great. We chartered a Belize 43 out of TMM in Placencia in October. Yes, October is hurricane season and yes, we had some rather anxious moments as “Wilma” advanced directly for us prior to turning North. We had one day of 30 knot winds and a few nights of 20 knot winds but no significant rain. Of course the winds were coming out of the West and Northwest and the decent anchorages were only protected from East and Northeast winds.

I have not sailed Turkey but we charted with Sunsail in the Greek Ionian Islands in September of 2004. Alas, Turkey and Croatia are both on my list for future charters but, if you have not done the Ionian Islands, I would highly recommend the trip.

Kirby
Uff Da, E32
Alamitos Bay (Long Beach), California

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Moorings is no longer

We've always been a pretty big fan of the Moorings, and Sunsail has a great reputation as well. Now you can have both! Sunsail got bought out a while ago... their parent company just purchased the Moorings as well and is going to brand the whole thing as Sunsail. Just FYI.
I'm thinking that may leave room for smaller operations like Horizon to expand a little and compete with price and service.
Sounds like a fun trip!
Chris

stbdtack

Member III
Moorings has always been a well run operation, I hope it doesnt change with the new owners.

Kirby, Glad you liked Belize, I think thats why we all agreed on it, no surprises, great water, pretty good weather and cheap flights.

Greece is definitley on the list though.....

Quiet Magic

Member II
It is done

Well I am happy to say that we booked the charter. Its through Sunsail in the BVI for 7 days on a Sun Odessy 35. Sunsail seemed to be the majority rule. Were are also taking a skipper for a day, just to make sure we do things right. Thanks for all the replies, they really helped to make a final decsion on the charter company. I'm hoping the BVI is all its cracked up to be.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Have fun. I remember an afternoon at Soper's Hole watching the Sunsail dock personnel helping the newly arrived and nervous charterers get off the dock (it was blowing pretty hard onto the dock) with much commotion when a young Frenchman and his very attractive female companion ambled down to the opposite dock, started the engine on their 50+ foot Swan, and while he uncleated the lines with one hand (holding his Gauloise in the other) and then jumped aboard, she pulled out of the slip like she was pulling out of a parking spot. It may be hard to tell, but I was impressed.

Last edited:

Stuart

Member II
sunsail

I have just returned from 2 weeks at that base, If you have not yet left I can give you lost of current info.
Cheers
Stuart

Stuart

Member II
Bvi

Hi Steve

I sent you a message with my phone number if you want to call, but here are a few things.
When you arrive seek out Sven, he sets you up with your boat and does a bunch of stuff, say Hi to him from me, hopefully he won’t hold that against you.
I purchased charts before I left and brought them with me, the chart they give you allows you to go to all the “tourist bays” but lacks detail if you want to explore. The best places we anchored are discouraged against in the guide book on the boat, be sure you are set with lots of scope and you shouldn’t have any problems. This opens up a bigger world; in short, Sunsail very much encourages you to use the mooring balls. This is great and easy but if you venture out and anchor you will find spots that are pretty nice. I spent 150.00 on the charts and they were worth every penny, given what the entire trip cost it wasn’t much, sort of.
Read Paul’s post he has many of the spots. The Baths are a definite must if the weather is right, just explore and wiggle through the rocks, it’s pretty cool. Be careful though if it is rough the waves will smash you against the rocks like a wet rag and it hurts! Get there early, we arrived about 8:30am and 50% of the day only mooring balls were gone and by 9:30 am the place was full, you are not allowed to anchor at the baths.
My favorite place was probably Dead Man Bay on Peter Island, a post card beach of sand and palm trees, it’s not deserted, the Peter Island Resort is there as well as there was two other boats that were anchored. It is a very nice resort and probably one of the best meals we ate out. They have two restaurants, a long pant, jacket type place ($$$) and a more casual shorts and T shirt place ($). We went to the T shirt one, reasonable price main course and great atmospheres. Our bill was half of what we paid at Foxy’s Taboo for about the same meal. Most of the restaurants are expensive, at the bitter End Yacht Club we went to the pup and ate a great burger for 10 bucks, some friends went to the restaurant and were both disappointed and broke after dinner.

When provisioning you can go to the next Village (by cab) to the Fine Food Store, 10 times the selection as what is at the base and lots more reasonable, there is a great little bakery across the street with about the best Banana bread I have had. This village is between the Sunsail base and the airport, the food store will be on your right when traveling from the airport.

There is another grocery store in Roadtown that will pick you up for free to go there and shop, both stores are about the same but the one in the village is lots quieter, about a 5.00 ride each way.
There is more but many other things to do, have a great trip!
Cheers:egrin:
Stuart

Stuart

Member II
Bvi

One thing I forgot to mention, most of the bottom when anchoring is grass and the anchor skips along. I looked down to the bottom and dropped on sandy spots, hooked every time. I watched others beside me make several attempts, maybe because of the grass, maybe I was just lucky.
Cheers
Stuart