• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trouble in paradise

Art Mullinax

Member III
Pat and I were planning on taking a trip back to the keys this summer and taking the skiff along with our scuba/snorkling gear til we read this concerning "sea Lice". It's not really lice but a small jelly fish. Any of the Floridians heard of this problem. I know first hand that jelly fish will run a grown man out of the water. I still have scars on both legs.
See attached URL.

www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

Last edited:

Kevlarpirate

Member II
Interesting article

I grew up on south Florida beaches and spent the summers in the keys and spent alot of time snorkeling and swimming. This includes family and many friends. I have never been hit by this once in over more than 30 years. I have listened to stories from time to time. This would never keep me from
entering the water . I have been hit by some big Jelly fish and a man o war,
and some fire coral, been face to face with a 7 foot barracuda and was almost hit by a black tip reef shark, and a very large moray eel. I suppose I am lucky?
I think you should go and have fun and ask if there have been any problems..BTW we did have "sea lice" critter problem when towing some swimmers behind the boat in July, it was minor and they drank some rum when we got them on board