• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Clutching loads...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey all,
I'm re-working my coach-top design and organization with the running rigging. I was looking for thoughts on loads on a main reefing line in terms of clutching. I'm going to have a triple clutch (or two doubles, depending on loads) for our 2 main reef lines and our asym tack line for our 38. The spinlock guide says to use XTS, but that seemed like it might be overkill.
We use 3/8ths on the reef lines and 5/16ths on the tack line. I want to use the right clutch for the loads to be safe, but I also know that Ben. puts XAS on halyards on the new 343... making me think they'd be ok for our reef lines and tack line. I use XTS on the main halyard and XCS on the jib.
Thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Chris

stbdtack

Member III
clutches...

Chris,
I used all XTS when i put new clutches on. They all seem to work well. My only gripe would be that with the smaller lines you get about an inch of slack as you release the line from the winch before the cam grips. I'm thinking of changing the cam in the XTS to work with the smaller line better. My jib halyard is 8mm Vectran (5/16) and it is right at the bottom of the grip range for the big cam. Still it does hold under load. All the other lines are 3/8.
The gripping action of the lewmars is pretty cool, using the canted plates to hold the line. They advertise that you can control the release with these clutches. Mine are pretty much either on or off.

escapade

Inactive Member
in a clutch

I've used the XAS's on my E34 w/o any problems. 3/8 Sta-Set X for main & jib halyards, 3/8 StaSet for reefing & 7/16 for main sheet (easier for these big old fat hands to hold!). Haven't had any issues with holding ability or felt they were undersized for the loads. Sounds to me that the loads on the 38 would be similar enough that they would work. Issue is getting the XTS's to grip the smaller line sizes properly. I'm not sure the housing itself is much beefier on the XTS or if it's just built larger to accept the larger line sizes. We're racing Escapade so we put some heavy loads on the halyards at times without issues. My $.02 FWIW.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers: