• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rigid Vang E-38 Dimensions?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
A buddy who works at a local rigging shop was showing me a rigid vang they had in their rafters that came off of some other boat. No idea what boat. It is made by Offshore Spars and looks pretty nice. It is 68" from pin to pin in its shortest setting. Looks a bit too big for my 38 but maybe not? It has 5/8" pins on it and a 6:1 purchase coming off. It is in excellent condition and I could get it for a song. I just don't know if it will fit. I will take some measurements but if any of you guys with rigid vangs happen to know what models you used or what the dimensions were that would be great. I looked up offshore spars and thier website was not too helpful. Almost seemed like this was a custom piece.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks a lot. The one im looking at is a little bigger but I think will fit. How far back on the boom is the vang attached? Looked to me like it would be very close to the fwd mainsheet block. I can get this one im looking at for $200 and its in great shape. I'm thinking its a great deal....

stbdtack

Member III
vang...

Ted, the fitting is about 62" back from the aft side of the mast on the boom. It's just in front of the fwd bail and the my mainsheet runs parallel down to the mast base. I wouldnt want it much farther back on the boom as the angle would be getting hinky. Make sure you mount it so you can compensate for the boom and sail weight.

One thing i noticed, when the vang is supporting the boom the gooseneck is in tension and the fasteners seem to loosen up pretty quickly with the changing in load directions. I added a couple more 1/4-20 pan heads and red lock-tighted all the screws. I noticed a thread awhile back about the gooseneck fitting screws loosening up. Just a heads up.

A rigid vang for $200 sounds like a good deal.

Attachments

• vang.jpg
    vang.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 151

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Ben. I think I am going to get it. Looks like even if it is a tad too long I can take it apart and shorten it but hopefully I wont need to. On my mainsheet I have another block on the bail by the goosneck with the sheet running down to the deck plate then over to the organizer. Looks like you have eliminated that block. I will need to get together harware for mounting on the boom. I have something for the mast end already in place that I believe will work. When locating the boom fitting how do I account for the weight of the boom and sail? Do I use some big hose clamps to hold the bracket in place while I locate it?

stbdtack

Member III
vang

Getting the distance right is sort of a guess. Since you will be at the end of your length adjustment you could just install it just slightly less than the unloaded length. Then if you need more lift start adjusting for longer length(boom up). Your vang sounds like it was built for a big boat so be carefull as the spring may not drop much at all and you wont be able to go shorter (boom down) without shortening the vang.

The boom fitting I used was a stock boom fitting with 4 tabs welded on for extra strength. Otherwise it was five 1/4 bolts in a line on each side of the tang. the 4 tab bolts up higher are more in shear and add a huge amount of strength. (While your boom ends are off make a profile tracing of the boom extrusion on cardboard in case you have something fabricated)

The block on the gooseneck can go away and you will get a slight vector downward. This will add to your mainsheet purchase slightly (pulling down instead of just trying to compress the gooseneck) and will eliminate friction and costs of another block. I think it was done so the hatch can open fwd, but you will have a rigid vang there anyway.

erobitaille

Member II
Vang

Ted,

I have a vang that pretty much has the same dementions as Ben's. I also removed the block at the goose neck as the main sheet was cafing on the vang.