• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Two Harbors for MLK day?

Dan Hayes

Member III
Just wondering - what are the odds of snagging a mooring next Saturday at Two Harbors? Would the fact that many people have a three day weekend (Martin Luther King day) mean that all the moorings would be taken by noon Saturday?

I'm thinking of a two day trip next weekend - coming back Sunday morning.

Also - what would the sea conditions normally be this time of year in the morning - 4-6 foot swells the norm?

Sven

Seglare
The only sure answer is "uncertain".

Disregarding that disclaimer, even with the winter mooring setup (every other mooring left vacant ,bow out) I suspect you'd be able to find a mooring.

As for swells, they aren't usually an issue in two harbors as there is no ocean scale fetch or sudden shoaling to cause breaking conditions. Wind waves are a completely different matter. You definitely want to listen to the forecast before and during the trip as any N to E winds could cause a problem.

Tune in to Wx and go for it unless things sound too iffy.

-Sven

PS Now that you mention it, it sounds like a good idea :) Maybe we'll see you out there.

-

Dan Hayes

Member III
Yeah, we'll just have to see. First the weather issue, then I guess we just call them up early Saturday and see. Hate to get all the way over there and then have to anchor out. If the weather is like today, it will probably be jammed.

Sven

Seglare
I think you'de be surprised, lots of folks around here don't seem to set out unless it is about 80 and flat. A hint or rain and it is "un-sailable" :)

A Friday night crossing under power is a possibility too.

What size mooring would you need ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I really don't think you would have any problems.

I really don't think you would have any problems at all this time of year. A friend of mine spent the Christmas weekend cove hopping and even Avalon was almost empty. You can check the web cam at this site: http://watchthewater.co.la.ca.us/

It looks wide open. I bet you could have your choice of the most protected areas at the Isthmus, Cherry Cove or 4th of July cove and even Howlings Landing for that matter.:egrin:

There is a chance of rain forcast this weekend though.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Moorings, Take your pick!

Moorings, Take your pick! I know it's Monday today but this doesn't even come close to what the place looks like in the Summer. Go for it!

Brought to you by the nice folks at watchthewater.co.la.ca.us/

:egrin:

Attachments

• 017_Banning_41.jpg
    017_Banning_41.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 014_ChamberHill_01.jpg
    014_ChamberHill_01.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 014_ChamberHill_16.jpg
    014_ChamberHill_16.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 124

Sven

Seglare
Sven said:
PS Now that you mention it, it sounds like a good idea :) Maybe we'll see you out there.

-

I think we convinced ourselves to spend the W-E over there. Maybe adding one more day by taking Friday off too.

-Sven

Dan Hayes

Member III
Yeah, I'm really needing a quiet weekend away, and the island is calling... however, I just don't need any adventures right now, so I am going to wait for the forecast to tighten up. It's looking like 6 foot swells, and I'm not sure I want to put up with bashing my way back on Sunday or Monday...

Dan Hayes

Member III
By the way, after finding that website here a couple months ago, I pull it up almost daily, especially when I 'm having a particularly stressful day. It helps me remember that no matter how lousy a day I'm having, the island is waiting and it sure is nice over there! Thanks, guys.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
NOAA Forecast

I really want to do a trip this winter when nobody's there but I think I will pass this weekend. As soon a conditions improve on a weekend, I will let you all know.

Jeff

NOAA Forecast San Pedro.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy with rain likely and a chance of thunderstorms. Highs around 60. Southeast winds around 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Saturday night: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Lows in the mid to upper 40s. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 60s.

Sunday night through Monday night: Mostly clear. Lows in the mid to upper 40s. Highs in the upper 60s.

NOAA Forecast San Pedro Channel

FRI NIGHT
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING SE 10 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT.

SAT
S WIND 10 KT...BECOMING 10 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND
WAVES 2 FT OR LESS...BECOMING 3 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. W SWELL 5 TO
7 FT. RAIN LIKELY AND CHANCE OF TSTMS.

SAT NIGHT
W WIND 10 KT...BECOMING S AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES
2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN AND SLIGHT CHANCE OF
TSTMS. :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Yeah, Saturday looks bleak :-(

I don't think I can talk Nancy into a night crossing under power after a long day at work on Friday ... oh well, she's the smarter of the two of us anyway :)

-Sven

Dan Hayes

Member III
I'm going to wait for better weather - no adventures needed this weekend. A great time to hang out on the boat, maybe catch up on the boat projects I've been putting off, and maybe put some soup on the stove and enjoy the rain!