• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1970 ericson 29 hull no

usmcgrizz

Member I
no hull number I can find so far on this 1970 model Ericson 29 in Port Orchard Wa. The registration papers use the engine no for the hull ident no. When i pulled the 10 gal gas tank it had "ericson 29 protto tank" written on bottom. Any ideas where to look for a number?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am not sure just when the position of the HIN on the boat was formalized, but it seems to always be on the top of the transom, one side or the other.
Then (xx months/years?) later, a second HIN was also molded into an interior out-of-normal-sight location during production, like the FRP engine pan or, in our case, the top of the aft berth, way at the back.
Sorry to be of little help.
There are a lot of Ericson 27's and 29's from that period... they should be checking in when the eggnog wears off in a couple of days.
:rolleyes:

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

evm

Member II
I thought that HIN were not required till sometime mid 70's. And that many if not all did not have a HIN before they were required.

HGSail

Member III
My HIN is located at the middle/bottom of the transom. So they Started putting them on the boats sometime before 1973. The ID# ERY73224M or ERY22473M (ERY=Ericson, then hull#, Then year, M=monohull) Either way, The year and Hull number are your HIN. Using the Engine ID# could cause problems for you or the next owner if you change the engine out.

Davis
E29 '73
Holy Guacamole:egrin:

Last edited:

usmcgrizz

Member I
No Hull no requirement til Nov 72

Thanks for the links. Found my answer. Guess she never had a hull number affixed in that it was not Federally required til Nov 72. Probably the reason they have been using the eng no. all this time for registration purposes. We will just have to celebrate her birthday on Jan 1 each year:egrin:

David
s/v Young@Heart
Port Orchard, Wa.