• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Check out tomorrow's forecast...

Dan Hayes

Member III
Wee bit too bumpy for me!

.TONIGHT...NW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT
AT 13 SECONDS...BUILDING TO 7 TO 9 FT AT 14 SECONDS.
.WED...NW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 11 TO 13 FT
AT 15 SECONDS.
.WED NIGHT...W WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 10 TO
12 FT.

Lew Decker

Member III
Hmmm...I'm going out just to see those swells rolling in, but the ride back into the channel could be interesting. Have the whales made it this far south yet? I didn't see any the other day...

Dan Hayes

Member III
Haven't heard of any sightings lately, but it's time, isn't it? I heard one person say they saw a blue whale near Catalina a couple weeks ago. Always wanted to see one, never have.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Shot these this morning!

Shot these this morning at Pt. Fermin. Big Stuff. Only close to shore. Don't really see the rollers offshore.:esad:

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 122
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 115
  • P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 112

Lew Decker

Member III
Yow...Just got back from the boat. You could have surfed down the channel. We motored out for a peek, took some pics, and headed back in. Too bad. It was a beautiful day for fooling around out in the ocean. We'll save the whales for another day when 10-footers aren't charging down the channel...

Dan Hayes

Member III
I don't have all that much blue-water experience, and I would have stayed in, too. All of a sudden, your quiet little day sail can become a bona-fide adventure...

I have been out in some big swells, with very little wind, where it was truly a "magic carpet ride", and a real blast surfing down them. However, when they're breaking - no fun!

When the wind whips the spray off the big ones, yowsa - I'd rather be watching from the shore, if I have a choice in the matter...

Those were great pictures Jeff shot. I heard there were going to be some HUGE waves down San Diego way - must be what Lew got a taste of.

Lew Decker

Member III
P1010162.jpg

When we saw from the parking lot how big the surf was in the channel, we knew there was no way to get outside. We just put-putted closer for a pic and then turned around again. We caught an 8-footer from behind and you could feel the boat surge forward. Great fun and reminiscent of my trimaran sailing days where we routinely surfed above 20 knots. It scared my wife, though. We parked the boat and went Christmas shopping instead:) !

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Now That's Impressive!

Now That's Impressive! It's still sailable in San Pedro. I saw a 30 foot cat headed to Catalina last night. There's so much time between swells that they were not having any problems.

Jeanne

Member I
Local weather

Glad to see all the feedback. I am headed to Avalon for New Year's. Went last year. Weather is pretty good considering the time of year. :)

Jeanne
Smooth Operator

Dan Hayes

Member III
We went out today for a few hours, it was drizzly and the wind shifted quite a bit. Then the fog rolled in, and we decided to head in. Judging by the pictures, it must have been something last week. I was thinking about going to the Isthmus for New Years, but I don't think I can get someone out to do some head repairs by then. Sounds like a great way to spend the New Years to me!

I'm going to see if we can round up enough Ericsons for a least a mini-rendevous this year - I think we can do it. Maybe at Catalina?