• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Free raster charts - What is the story

evm

Member II
Hi, Now that Maptech is releasing charts for free (www.freeboatingcharts.com) I'm wondering what the story is. They were making so much money and went so far as to encrypt the charts that I wonder what it took to get them to give us OUR NOAA charts back.

Anybody know?

__Ethan

Art Mullinax

Member III
Pardon my ignorance but, can these charts be downloaded to a computer? What software would be needed? Looks like it would be fun to look at some of these charts.
Art M

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You can get software from places like Maptech, Fugawi or OziExplorer. You can see what OziExplorer looks like on a PocketPC here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1768&highlight=dell

Last year I chartered a boat in Turkey and downloaded the charts for $3.00. Sure beats buying a Garmin chip.

In that thread, you also find out how to download free NOAA vector charts. They have been approved for commercial use, but they do not run on a PocketPC and any computer (desktop or laptop) will need a very fast processor (I have 3 GHz and it still seems slow).

Last edited:

evm

Member II
There are a number of chart viewers available free. (you can even find them on maptech site) Others have GPS integration and are fully functional.

These are the NOAA charts. Real charts.

It was my understanding that NOAA was annoyed with Maptach's marketing and fee structures. Nice that they are now in the public domain (again). I was just looking for any (lurid) details.

Now if only non-US charts would become in the public domain.

I have 11 regions from Mexico to Canada that I use for work. Even with an educational discount it was a pretty penny. Plus the encryption was/is a pain in the ass. We tend to douse our computers in the field every once in a while. New keys were provided but that takes time.

--Ethan

Art Mullinax

Member III
Way behind technology.

The guys in the shop are still giving me a hard time about the automatic built in coffee cup holder on the front of my desktop.:confused:
Art M.