• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lake Sailors

Justin Lee

Just wanted to post something on this forum. I am interested in finding out how many of us Sail on lakes & which part of the country you sail on?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Land Locked Moderator - Profile

Justin - can I interest you in being a moderator for this board? Also - how about doing a profile of one of your Bear Lake YC Ericsons for the profiles section?

Jerry Griffith

Justin

Count me as a lake sailor. I cruise Lake Erie. Home port Catawba Island, OH.

Jerry Griffith
s/v Valhalla
1974 E-27 #681
Defiance, OH

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
There's several of you Lake Erie people here - I'm from Chagrin Falls originally!

John Young

Land Locked

I also sail on a lake. This would be the almost, Great Lake, Lake Champlain. Actually there are quite a few Ericsons on this lake, including a 1987 E34 for sale out of Shelburne, VT. In my marina alone there are four E26's, including mine. Lake Champlain sailing is very comparable to the BVI, except for the palm trees and the fact that the lake is frozen from December to April.

John Young
1987 E26
OUTNUMBERED

Bob in Va

Member III
Wow, you Great Lakes guys are taking over! I've got to admit, though, that when I look at a map that's an awful lot of blue up there. Smith Mt. Lake (where I sail) in Virginia is pretty puny in comparison, but it has about 525 mi of shoreline and some beautiful scenery. Couple that with southern hospitality and a laid back lifestyle, and you might not want to go back north. In fact, one theory around here as to why the Civil War (or what is known here as 'The War of Northern Aggression') took so long is that once the yankees were down here they didn't want to go back. I've sailed the lake every month of the year, and though some winters are cold by our standards (13+" snow so far this winter), it was in the 70s for almost a week last year in January.

escapade

Inactive Member
Ya Jim, riight! Let me know when you get a lake in Texas (you know, everything is bigger in Texas) that takes 40 to 50 hours to sail the length of. (re: Port Huron to Mackinaw race, 258 kn.) Bud Dankers E34 "Escapade" Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron)

fafeagin1

Lake Hefner

I sail in a bathtub lake. You can see downtown OKC from Lake Hefner. There are no water skiers or jet skiers on the lake to cause any problems. It a small lake but a great place to be based out of. Takes a total of about 30 minutes from my house to the lane out of Hurricane Harbor out into always great sailing winds.
Bigger is not always better !!!:egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Fred

Startacker

Lake Sailing

Greetings from Lake Mead, Nevada. We have about 110 miles of lake here and the saying is: "If you can sail Lake Mead, you can sail anywhere".
It's 12 month a year sailing here and is beautiful on our Ericson 30. Summertime gets a little warm though, up to 115 in August. That's when the Pacific coast looks wonderful

John & Candi
"Gypsy Woman"

Steve Swann

Member III
Another Lake Sailor

I had to just add my 2 cents. We just bought "Sea Horse" a 1977 E25 and hauled her back from Florida to Idaho. She is in wonderful condition and has an 8 hp. inboard Yanmar diesel. Sailed with Jeff and Lorraine Marble, of Fairfield, Idaho on their trailerable E25 "Amigo" (another trailer-sailor couple) to get a taste of what we bought. I always wanted an Ericson, even when sailing something else. Jeff's boat thrilled us. The small Ericson suits us because we have so many beautiful lakes in the NW that we couldn't resist. We are looking forward to the transportability and the adventures. Anybody write if they have any suggestions, hints, or comments. Steve.

Attachments

• new toy boat.jpg
    new toy boat.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 343

rssailor

Folsom Lake Sailor

Hello all of you out there. I noticed that there have not been many posts lately on this thread. Where are all the lake sailors.
I am from Sacramento, California which is good place to have a sail boat. There are about five hundred sailboats on Folsom Lake at the marina. Sailing is good all year around on the lake when there is water. Best time of the year to sail at Folsom is in the spring or late afternoon during the summer when the delta breeze kicks up. My Ericson 25+ is an annual visitor here and this is where I grew up and did most of my boating when I was younger. How many of you lake sailors out there have problems with fluctuating water levels? Ryan:egrin: