• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat Stuff on Ebay...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Just a curious question about how much boat stuff you all purchase on Ebay. I've always been a little Ebay leary, but then I found a guy who has good line CHEAP! I haven't recieved my first order from him yet, but I'm hoping it's a good thing. The discussion about the feathering prop just had me curious.
Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Chris
:cool:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I've purchased several items on Ebay and have been very pleased with my purchases. I have picked up a (new) Ronstan snatch block ($35), new BlueSeas AC master switch ($30), new folding Stainless steel mast steps ($12 ea), lightly used 5-4-3 wetsuit ($25). Everything has arrived in good condition and was as listed - no surprises! However, I would caution anyone to be aware of all shipping costs prior to bidding as these can seem steep.

Guy Stevens

Only one boat part on E-bay

I only purchased one boat part on e-bay. Shipping was astronomical :) $9,500 for just the shipping alone...........

:egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Attachments

• shipping for ery.jpg
    shipping for ery.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 252

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
funny...

Very cool, Guy...:egrin:

Ernie, I usually go to the "Sailing Hardware and Gear" section- which is here:
http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Accessories-Gear_Sailing-Hardware-Gear_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ31281QQsocmdZListingItemList

then you can search in there for specifics or just browse. I just bought new Jib sheets (samson trophy braid, 1/2") from a guy for less than half of what I would have paid from a rigging shop- If it turns out good, I'll buy more.
Thanks for the thoughts and feedback.
Chris

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've gotten a some electrical plumbing and safety stuff (lifesling, radar reflector, etc). Also I buy BlueChart cards for about $25 apiece. :D That's my personal favorite. They're the ones that came out the previous Jan or Jul (2005, for the ones I just bought), and they are 1/5th of retail price.

evm

Member II
I just listed a Cole Hersee battery switch on E-bay. I'll let you know if many people look/bid on it.

I do buy a fair amount of vintage audio and Fiat parts off of ebay and in genera geet more than my moneys worth.

--Ethan

bigtyme805

Member III
Many ebay items

I am avid shopper on ebay, even buying my e-27 on the site. With everything you have to be careful. I have had success buying 87 items(boat stuff) and had no horror stories. Although, I have to tell everybody this story because it is how I became an ericson owner.

I was shopping on ebay and bid on an islander 28 from Marina Del Rey, really liked the boat. After becoming the winning bidder I contacted the owner and he was from a non-profit agency. He had me meet him at a donut shop in Marina Del Rey to seal the deal. I made the mistake of never seeing the boat in person before I bid. He tells me the boat is in Catalina for one last sail, just to leave a deposit and return in a week. I laughed! He called me during this week and told me the boat hit a reef and sank on Catalina Island. So much for the Islander. Ironically a couple weeks later I get a call from the DA trying to prosecute this guy for fraud.

After this bad deal I found an ericson 27 on ebay that looked to be in good shape. This time I went and looked at it and knew this was my boat. I was the winning bidder and now have one of the best looking boats on the dock. I put her thru a total refit and she has logged many miles off shore.

You can find many good things on ebay, you just have to really look and pay attention to the seller's rating.

Quiet Magic

Member II
is that the e 46 with the weak bulk head?

Guy, is that the Ericson 46 that had the bulk head seperating from the hull? Just curious.

Guy Stevens

Kind of......But not really! :)

The issue was that the 46 had fallen off of a rogue wave, the tabbing was not weak, but rather after the 20+ foot fall off the top of the wave, the hard impact at the bottom after the free fall, some of the tabbing had come loose from the hull (Which was completely in tact...). They sailed it another 5 days in big winds, and only figured out the extent of the damage after they were in port.

The technicalities and the math have been left off of this message but, the E-46 and to a certain extent the e-39's have some different characteristics than the rest of the e boats. Some of these characteristics are directly related the boats being able to survive the incident with as little damage as there was.

I had some doubts about the story, but the previous owner who was there when the accident happened (On the boat even! :) ) Gave me the coordinates. The next year 4 days different, and within 5 miles of the incident, there was a report of the exact thing happening to a cruise ship!!!! The cruise ship broke windows out on the 7th floor, and the hot tubs in the whole ship apparently became separated from their mounts... So seems likely that it is what happened.

The boat was put up for auction by the insurance co, and I was lucky enough to find it and be the only bidder....

Almost 9 months later it is just about done. There are a lot of updated systems, as a matter of fact all of them, and the boat is basically brand new, and completely retabbed everywhere. Some of the interior wood has been replaced, but the original interior design has been completely adhered to. I like the way Bruce King does interiors, makes for great offshore boats!!!!

When the project is done, sometime around Christmas I will edit the photos down do some before and after pics, talk about all of the processes and put it on my web site. www.svpneuma.com. In the mean time there are a lot of photos that are in various orders of various processes that may or may not make sense to anyone other than me. However you are welcome to look.

Guy
:)

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Line arrived today...

My new Jib Sheets (1/2" Samson Trophy Braid) arrived today.
Absolutely perfect. And less than half price of the store in Annapolis I usually use. (literally $0.49 on the $1)
I will put note here and say, however, that the store in Annapolis does fantastic custom splicing/rigging and has a great selection of parts... so I won't bad-mouth them... But it is nice to save money.
For anyone who's interested: http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Rope-and-Line_Sail-rigging-line_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Chris