• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1973E29 TUG

Member I
I dont know if anyone else has noticed their boat swing around a lot while at anchor in a moderate to heavy breeze.

It seems that other boats in the same anchorage lie relatively calmly into the wind while our Ericson 29 is pacing back and fourth like a spooked horse.

Watching the boat for a while from shore it seems that the bow catches the wind and falls away a bit then the boat "sails" on the windage of the hull for a short distance in one direction until the bow heads back into the wind. then the bow falls away to the other side and begins to "sail" the other direction. The swings are fairly large (about 35 to 45 feet in each direction)

We are on the Gulf Coast of Florida so our anchorages are relatively shallow and the bottom is nothing but sand so with the constant swing back and forth the anchor is constantly having to re-set itself and the boat definitely drags the anchor. I had a marginally sized danforth anchor so I picked up a good used 35#CQR at a marine swop meet (a bit large for the boat but better too much anchor than too little...)

Does anyone have an idea why she swings so much at anchor??? More importantly does anyone have any suggestions to get her stay into the wind

Thanks for any input:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Anchor Riding Sail...

Yeah - your boat is just 'wagging' back and forth in the wind. First (I believe), the wind pushes the stern out of line and it turns until the bow is caught, then it snaps back. It's a very common problem.

Get yourself an anchor riding sail. It's a small tough sail you attach to your backstay - and sheet it forward to your mast. The wind will catch it, and hold you in perfect alignment (or at least, keep you pointed into the wind); if the wind shifts, so do you. You can see an anchor riding sail in the attached - deployed on this 65' Alberg (update: yes, I know it's not an Ericson, and have removed it from the rotation on the frontpage. I'm leaving this copy of it here as an example for the a/r sail and mooring snubbers. Please no email on this....). :confused:

You can get one at your local sailshop - or, if you have a sewing machine, put it together yourself with a kit from Sailrite.com.

Follow the links to > On Line Shopping > Sails > Anchor Riding Sails.

I had one - it was pretty easy to make - and very effective!

//sse

Attachments

• alberg30_1965.jpg
    alberg30_1965.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,058
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Another vote for an anchor sail. We had one made by the local North loft a couple of seasons ago -- about $100. finished. After reading the information on the Sailrite site, I might be tempted to make one -- we just do not have a sewing machine...

We hoist it on the backstay and sheet the long end/clew hard up alongside the boom. Boat weathervanes into the wind at anchor with no more sailing back 'n' forth.
FWIW, this wandering behavior seems to be SOP for fin keel boats...

Ours looks a lot like the one at the URL Sean posted... matter of fact, we printed that drawing out and took it into the local loft as a concept starting point.
:)

One of those ideas I wished I had thought of years ago, on our prior boat... which did the same dance.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Attachments

• AnchorSail.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Loren Beach said:
...Another vote for an anchor sail. We had one made by the local North loft a couple of seasons ago -- about $100. finished. ...
Best,
Loren in PDX

For $100-$150, I would buy instead of build (assuming good quality). Doing on a machine is not hard - but at $70-$80, plus the time and wear on your machine (most standard machines will take a beating doing it - mine did), the extra money would worth a proper one made in a loft...

//sse

Art Mullinax

Member III
Rudder amidship

Keeping the rudder amidship helps. If there is any current, the water across the rudder will cause her to swing and act like she was heaved to.
Art M
71/E29

Guy Stevens

The Riding Sail Will Work... But if you are skint

You might try an offset bridle. Basically you just pick the side that the boat is going to veer to in advance. This works with some boats and not at all with others. You might give it a try though.

The bridal has two legs instead of one, and they go to both of your bow cleats, through both of your chocks on the bow. Sometimes this works all by itself on small boats, sometimes you have to shorten one of them so that the boat is pulled a little off to the side, depending on the configuration of the boat you might have to lead one of them aft a little. If the bridal does not do it all by itself you want to pre load it so the boat to ends up like / to the wind....The wind of course would be from the top of the screen.

The Anchor Riding sail is a better way to control this. (I made mine out of an old main that someone had thrown away in the trash at the top of the dock). Cut off the first 5 feet or so of the head, folded it over and sewed a tack and clew ring in. Did it look like an expensive piece of gear.... Well no, but it worked fine for about 4 years Anchoring almost every night.... And the only sewing was a little hand work practice for me! :)

Guy
:)

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Swings wildly at anchor

One evening at anchor I tried tying off the tiller hard to port. It changed the pattern of the swings but still seemed to swing around a lot.

The anchor riding sail sounds like the ticket.

Thanks for the responses

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Swings Wildly at Anchor

Sorry, I missed the post on the offset bridle.

I'll certainly try that the next time I am out on an over night.

Did I read correctly 4 years anchoring out...Was that as a liveaboard, or on an extended cruise. I have dreams about having that kind of time to get away.

HGSail

Member III
I have the same problem with sailing at anchor, But the water is somewhat deeper. Around 20-60'. I use a 24# Danforth and 30' 5/16BBB chain with 250' of 1/2"rode. I have not had any problem with dragging in winds up to 40kts, But I like the idea of the anchor sail.

Tug, I see you have hull #225. Mine is #224. It looks like one took a left and one took a right when they departed the factory. I would love to see what you have done with her.

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Hi Davis,

Our E29, now named Norsevind, was previously from San Diego, California.
I bought her from a guy who transported her cross country on a trailer to his new home in Hernando Beach (a little north of here). The channel out of Hernando Beach is 4'-4" on the highest of tides so he had to time his adventures very carefully and it . He eventually got tired of getting stuck so he decided to part with her and find something with even less draft (I think a multi hull)

When I acquired her she had no name:( ... although on some old paperwork I found the name Ericka on a yard invoice from San Diego. I think I am the 4th or 5th owner. The original owner and 2nd owner kept her up very well and kept meticulous records of maintenance, log books, schematics and everything. I am very fortunate for that. There was a long period of dark ages for which I dont have any maintenance records or log book entries. She is in pretty good shape for her age and she was largely kept as originally delivered no major modifications. She still has her original A4 still chugging along with relatively good power (Moyer Marine is a godsend) I am in the process of working on the engine a bit to try to keep it running forever.

I have many photos, before and after projects and would love to compare notes and see some pics of your boat as well.

Attachments

• Norsevind.jpg
    Norsevind.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 2,042

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Just one other thought on this...

Hey Guys,
One other thing to keep in mind while you're doing all of this is to make sure you swing the same as all the other boats in the anchorage. We had an incident this summer where one boat was anchored differently than everybody else (he had out like 80' of chain in 10' of water) and caused us to move a raft of 3 boats to keep from smacking him. I don't think the anchor sail would make you do anything weird, but you might want to try other ideas away from other boats first.
Just a thought
Chris

PS> Nice Boat!

u079721

Contributing Partner
Anchor sail article

As some of you know I am a firm believer in anchor sails, having written the book, er article, on them.

You can read the article at:

http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/horsing.htm

Our anchoring experience is about 300 nights over 10 seasons in the North Channel, and the only time we didn't use our anchor sail was when we were tied to shore, which wasn't too often. Using the sail we would lie to within 5 degrees of the wind, and not horse around at all. Whenever we dropped the sail getting ready to leave I was amazed at how much we would begin to move.

Chris' concern about matching the boats around you is a good one, and of course you need to be on simlar scope, and for example not be tied fore and aft if everyone there before you is swinging to a single hook. But I have also read a few places where sailors discourage the use of an anchor sail, since it keeps you from horsing around at anchor when everyone about you would be - which is just damn silly. Just cause everyone is moving at anchor doesn't mean that they are all doing it in phase. I once saw two boats upwind of me collide while anchored because they were swinging so much on opposite tacks. After they collided the only way to prevent it again was when one boat let out more scope.

Attachments

• Anchored.JPG
    Anchored.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,354
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Love the Anchor Sail

Without doubt, the most practical solution is this-especially in heavy winds and rough seas while at anchor.

I have mentioned this before, but if you are in fairly flat water, and it is not too rough, try anchoring stern to the wind. Make up a bridle as decsribed before, but cleat the ends to the STERN cleats, and run the anchor rode through a block at the apex of the bridle.

The best way to use this technique is when stopping for lunch, or even if you are going to anchor long term, it is n ice if you are shorthanded. Keep an anchor in the aft compartment, when you are alone or short handed, it is much easier to stop the boat and lower the anchor off the stern-you are still safe in the cockpit, right?

Once you are set on the bridle, the boat will point squarely downwind without sailing. You will get GREAT ventilation through the cabin. If it gets rough, you can always move the rode to the bow, but in flat water/medium air, this is a neat way to go.

Still like the anchor sail, though!

Cheers all!

HGSail

Member III
Hello Tug

I bought mine about ten years ago. I think I'm the 3rd or 4th owner but I'm not sure. She was originaly named Salsa. I installed a windlass This last year I rebuilt my A4 and exhaust system, Replaced all standing rigging, Painted the mast, installed a Furler, Canvas and cushions inside and out. A few years ago I replaced the DC wiring and installed a saltwater pump to the sink. I have a 33gal h2o tank, 18gal gas, and 3.3gal waste.

I'll send pics later

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole:egrin:

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Hi Davis,

I took delivery of the boat last October (after all the 2004 Hurricaines Passed us by).

Since then I have replaced the head and the all the associated hoses. Replaced the galley freshwater pump (it also has a salt water pump).
Bought all new cushions down below (they came out beautifully)
Moved the main sheet traveler up onto the cabin top (to accomodate a bimini)
Had a large bimini custom made for her (too hot and sunny to sail in FLA without one)
Put the new name and graphics on the side and transom (dresses her up a bit)
Pulled and re-sealed one of the portlights in the salon that was leaking (I need to do the rest of them they still have the originel foam rubber gasket)
Rebuilt the hot section of exhaust ( I am going to have a new riser made at a local weld shop.
Having a new main sail cover made to match the bimini (sunbrella captains navy). She looks sharp with the new canvas
Did some general re-wiring to clean things up a bit and get some of the unnecessary wiring out of the engine compartment.
Pulled and cleaned the fuel tank (which I believe is original, only about 10 gal. tank by my calculations. mounted under the aft end of the cockpit floor access through the door in the aft end of the quarterbirth.)
Re-ran the fuel line with a electric facet fuel pump mounted near the tank. all new hoses and a few added inline filters and shut off valves.
Cleaned and rebuilt the Carb.
I had a small seeping leak in the waterjacket side plate that went un-noticed for a little while so I am in the process of cleaning scraping sealing and painting the engine block to stop the rust from eating my A4.

We'll definitely have to exchange some more photos/stories. I am interested in seeing how you have her set up

Here is a shot of the new name and graphics I also have added the Ericson Helmet Logo on the aft end of Blue Stripe

Attachments

• E29 New Name.jpg
    E29 New Name.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 2,044

Ernest

Member II
Anchoring by the stern is OK in any wind, but not large waves. A boat is actually more aerodynamic stern into the wind. Also the boat will weather vane nicely even when tied on a single stern cleat. All sloops will sail at anchor. If the center of wind resistance is aft of the lateral resistance the boat will not sail at anchor (i.e. schooners) or boats with riding sails, or sloops anchored by the stern. Ernie Schlesinger

HGSail

Member III
I don't have much time right now, But here is a quick pic of the guac. at lil Scorpion cove. I'll post more tomarrow or the next day.

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole

Attachments

• IMG_0009small.JPG
    IMG_0009small.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 693

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anchor Sail in use

Here are some pics of our anchor sail in use, from our recent cruise down the river. We were anchored out in a huge (!) moorage basin carved out of the marshes of the lower Columbia River for the former "moth ball Liberty Ship fleet" in the late 40's. Deserted now, and just lovely...
For the map-curious, this is behind Tongue Point, just east of Astoria, Oregon.
:cool:
Sidebar: In the aftermath of WW2, no one needed a buncha federal and state permits to create a mammoth sheltered anchorage for the moth balled liberty ships -- they just dredged out a harbor!
Still there, and a unform 20 feet deep. We watched bald eagles soar in the view toward the East, shown here.

Cheers,
Loren

Attachments

• anchorSail,from starboard.jpg
    anchorSail,from starboard.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 252
  • anchorSail from port side.jpg
    anchorSail from port side.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Lew Decker

Member III
Well...I'm the odd man out here, I guess. I sailed a Cross 40 trimaran for several years that was so light she tacked back and forth on the anchor line like a mylar kite with a short tail. We loved it. It was similar to living near a giant rotating fan while the scenery shifted from one side of the anchorage to the other. We never hit anyone. No one ever hit us except for a buddy of mine who insisted on an all chain rode when everyone else around was on nylon. He dragged down on us in the middle of the night, but that's another inflaming story:egrin: . On the rare occasion when the wind really hooted, we simply tied the anchor line off to the bow cleat on the starboard hull. Sun Flower rode all night long like she was on a close reach and never shivered a timber.

sunflowerback.jpg

Anyway, if you don't want to tack around all night long while at anchor, the simple solution is to see what happens when you tie off to a cleat a few feet aft of the bow, port or starboard. If there is no cleat handy, try using a bridle. I used one once with Sun Flower down in Costa Rica when the wind roared through the anchorage at 35 knots. Slept like babies, we did.;)

therapidone

Member III
A Question on the Anchor Sail

Given that the backstay is split on our boat, and I would guess, on a number of other Ericson models, how does one deal with the attaching the anchor sail to the portion of the backstay before the split? I haven't seen any anchor sails in action & am having some difficulty envisioning easily hoisting it at anchor w/ the split backstay circumstance...but then, I can be more than just a little thick-headed in these matters.

Regards,

Ed:egrin: