• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Isthmus for Thanksgiving

Sven

Seglare
At least that's the plan.

Hope to take some extra days off, head out Wednesday AM, before TG, and return the following Monday. That's assuming the weather cooperates.

We might also go back to Santa Barbara Island, from the Isthmus, but we'll play that by ear.

Is anyone else heading out for Thanksgiving ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Are you still going?

Are you still going? I am toying with the idea of going over on Friday. Not sure yet. Lots of boat projects to do. Here's the forcast. Looks like good wind on Saturday.

INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA
CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS-
820 AM PST WED NOV 23 2005

TODAY
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING SW 10 TO 15 KT IN
THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT AT
11 SECONDS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
W WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT
OR LESS OVERNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 FT AT
10 SECONDS. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

THU
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING W WIND 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 FT AT 12 SECONDS.
PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING.

THU NIGHT
W WIND 10 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT
OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT. PATCHY FOG
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

FRI
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT. PATCHY FOG IN
THE MORNING.

FRI NIGHT
NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING
VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS OVERNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 4 TO
6 FT.

SAT
NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT...BECOMING N 10 TO 20 KT. COMBINED SEAS
5 TO 7 FT...SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 5 FT.

SUN
NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO
3 FT. :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
We went ... the long way :)

Hi Jeff,

We left MDR on Sunday morning, motorsailed to Paradise Cove. On Monday we again motor sailed to Anacapa. On Tuesday we sailed and motorsailed to Santa Barbara Island. On Wednesday we motorsailed to the Isthmus and finally set foot on land again.

We had a very large and frisky Pilot whale (?) give us a shove as we neared Ship Rock from the North !!! We were leaping around an La Petite doing our usual oooohs and aaaahs while the pod was putting on a show and then suddenly La Petite got very noticeably shoved to the side. Nancy and I just looked at each other for a split second before saying "it actually pushed us".

Then on Saturday night we found out what the weather service means when they say there will be a "wind event". It was spectacular. I have no idea what the wind speeds were but two boats ended up on the hard, one 28 foot Columbia got loose and was way up on the rocks. The other boat was a fishing boat that tangled the mooring line in the prop (one out of 6 boats that did during the 4 days we were there) and the wind and seas immediately put it on the beach for the rest of the night.

The turkey dinner was great :)

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Holy Mackerel,

Sounds like you covered most of the southern coast of California. Once again La Petite finds the whales. That must of been pretty exciting! I think I would be a bit nervous getting shoved by a whale. Seems to me that you did a bit of back tracking, going to Paradise Cove on Catalina first and then up to Anacapa and then over to Santa Barbara Island. That's a lot of miles! Did you spend the night on the hook at Anacapa? Not too many recommended anchorages there. Did you stay at Frenchy's Cove?

I never did make it over to Catalina because I got very involved in re wiring about a 1/4 of my 12 system. I had friends that went to Avalon for Friday and Saturday and they said that the wind was howling through Avalon Harbor. Their boat was covered with a lot of salt crystals from the spray. 50 knot gusts on the back side of the Island. Winds from the North I guess. That's probably why all the trouble at the Isthmus right? Wind coming across the Isthmus right? The wind sure did die down yesterday. Glade you made it back safely!:egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Paradise Cove west of Malibu

There are two Paradise coves around here :)

We anchored at Paradise Cove and also at East Fisherman's Cove (?) on Anacapa and at the landing on Santa Barbara Island. I feel very snug with our 22 lb Bruce and 15' of chain holding our little 23' boat in place !

We did 152 NM per the GPS during the circle route.

It was great but more eventful than I'd look for.

-Sven