• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electrolicis

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
What are the symptoms? I have peeling paint around the mast base and around some of the SS fittings. For that reason (and for general cosmetic reasons) I have opted to have my mast stripped and Awlgripped this year and have the fittings reinstalled with proper protection to prevent electrolysis. It's expensive, but I don't plan to do it more than once. My boat is a 1985 32-3 with a white powder coated Kenyon spar. If your mast is anodized, I am not sure of the remedy.

vftspokane

Geoff, thanks for your reply. Actually I am just looking at the Ericson. At present I've got an Oday 26, but am pretty serious about purchasing the Ericson 32. The mast is painted black and looks from the deck as though it's been bit by electrolicis at all her fittings upto the lower spreaders. I have a suspicion that it's something that needs to be addressed in the purchase. And I'd guess that something like that (stripping and repainting the mast would cost in the neighborhood of $2000). Bud Thompson.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
It will cost at least $2,000. You can save money if you remove/install all the hardware yourself. There is really not much point in repainting if he hardware is not removed so that the cause of the corrosion can be remedied. Good luck. (I went from an O'Day 23 to my Ericson).