• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Window Replacement

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
I have been having a lot of trouble with the windows on my 1978 Ericson 27 leaking. Some things I have tried to remedy this are rebeding, completely taking apart and cleaning gasket etc. I am to a point of total frustration and am curious if anyone has suggestions or ideas about how to stop the leaking. I am investigated trying to find replacement windows etc. but to no avail. My idea now is to be totally done with the windows and replace them with some sort of plexiglass on the outside similar to that found on such boats as Olson 30's. This provides a weight savings and by bolting straight to the boat should allow me to prevent future leaks. Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's here, somewhere...

This very topic has been discussed at length here before. You need to try a search for this topic. You should also do a search on the archives at the Ericson List at Sailnet.com.
I know that there is a company somewhere in the East that rebuilds these windows.
FWIW, my boat was designed with the external Lexan lenses screwed to the cabin side. It looks normal on my design, but I worry that it would look "wrong" on an Ericson 27. Besides, the standard Ericson alloy frames with their safety glass lenses look great and stay clear; whereas plastic lenses suffer UV damage in about a decade. I have replaced all of my plastic lenses, about 3 years ago.
Just my .02 worth.
Loren Beach
1988 Olson 34

SingPilot

Replacement Windows, all Ericsons

I found a source for the windows, both the small non-opening ones, and the head opening one, and the big main salon ones.

I have not seen them yet, but intend to order at least the big ones.

OK Windows
(909) 735-7705

Hal Wynn

I have the same boat that you have and the same problem with the windows. Let me know what you find out about getting them fixed.