• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2006 Strictly Sail Show

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mark your calendars.
The 2006 version of what is now called "Strictly Sail" is set for April 19 through 23, at Jack London Square, Oakland, CA. This used to be called Sail Expo.

http://www.strictlysail.com/shows/pacific.asp?show=pa

Some of our sailing friends in the Portland OR area are already booking motel space.
How about another Friday dinner get-together? Maybe even a sail on the Bay?

Old friends, New friends, Good Times!

:egrin:

Loren in PDX

boatgirl

Inactive Member
count us in

Hi Loren,

That sounds like a great idea - both the sail and dinner idea. You can count us in.

Melissa and Greg
s/v Pacifica
Ericson 39B
Berkeley, Ca

corkhead

Julian Ashton
what happened to boatboy?

I'm pretty sure I'll be available during sail Expo also.

Julian "corkhead"
E35 III #236
SF, CA

boatboy

Inactive Member
I'm still here. I was sitting right next to boatgirl as she was typing it out.

Next weekend we haul out for a bottom job. We're going to try to fast track it and get the whole thing done in the one weekend. Wish us luck.

Lew Decker

Member III
Missed opportunities...

Hi Greg - Just curious about your trip to Catalina and return to SF Bay. I was sorry I couldn't make it up for a visit. The boat was ready, but...I suffered a back injury while out playing baseball (prolapsed disks - L4 and L5)and only in the last week have I started to feel better. The left leg weakness is still there, but at least I can sleep at night. Anyway, I hope your trip turned out to be terrific. Any pics on your website? One of these days we'll get the boats together... :)

boatboy

Inactive Member
OT - Catalina trip

Hi Lew,

So sorry to hear about your back. All in all, the trip was very good. For the most part we had very nice sailing weather all the way down. We had a fantastic sail from San Pedro to Catalina - never dropped below 6 knots (and the last 1/4 we never dropped below 7 knts). Matey does have a bunch of pics up on her site:
http://www.queserasailing.com/catalina_sail.html

The one real downer of the trip was my grandmother passing away. This was a real sad time for the obvious reasons, and it also took away almost all of the time we had planned to just hang out and explore the island.

The trip up was fairly uneventful. Mostly motorsailing with a couple pure sailing legs thrown in. We naturally got pasted going around Pt. Sur, but Conception was no biggie. There were a few times with very dense fog -- gotta love that radar.

Since in our opinion it takes at least three weeks to do a trip like this, we will most likely not make it down that far again until we do a Mexico cruise - maybe in two years.

Are you going to come up to Oakland for the show this Spring? We'd be happy to take you out in the bay on Pacifica.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know of at least three couples from RCYC in Portland that now have reservations in at the Best Western Inn at the Square, for the show.
For some this will be their first visit to an "all sail" boat show.

Big wet storm lashing our fair city today, but April is getting closer...
:)

Loren in PDX

Dan Hayes

Member III
I'm thinking of signing up for the show, too. Is the Best Western the best place to stay at Jack London Square? There were several hotels there, if I remember correctly.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I believe that there is one right on the docks called the Jack London Inn, or somesuch. If you do not mind the six block walk uptown, there is a nice large Mariott. We like the Best Western because it is about three blocks from the show and equally handy to the ferry dock for doing the tourist thing at SF Pier 39, etc.
Loren in Portland, OR

Guy Stevens

Sounds like we might have enough e boats for a impromptu raft up. We should have the 46 up and sailing by then!

Where are we going to anchor?

Guy

Dan Hayes

Member III
I'm going to try to round up a buncha folks from the Orange Coast College School of Sailing and Seamanship - we may get a booth there. And, there are a whole bunch of Vikings down here that might want an excuse to get outta town for a weekend of rubbing elbows with other sailboat owners...

I would also like to meet the guys who write Latitude 38, and maybe get to meet the Pardee's and (hopefully) Douglas and Bernadette Bernon, of Cruising World and Log of Ithaka fame.

Randy Smith

Strictly Sail Show

Hi Loren,

I'll be staying at the Best Western Thursday night and attending the show Thurs & Fri. I'm up for a group dinner Friday if it happens. :egrin:

Randy Smith
Windance; E30-1
Santa Cruz, CA

Dan Hayes

Member III
Strictly Sail

Let's post a place and time to get together, if you guys want to. I will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - I'd love to at least join up for a beer.

The Orange County School of Sailing and Seamanship will have Alaska Eagle and Kialoa there for viewing, and I will be there mid-day on Saturday if anyone wants to meet. So far no plans on Friday evening... isn't there going to be a Latitude 38 party?

Howard Keiper

Carol and I will be there too.I'm going to order our passes when I finish this post. I doubt we'll bring Sea Quest, but we're up for most any get- together...beer, dinner, whatever.
We're particularly interested in the OCC / Alaska Eagle presence, too, having done the Honolulu-Tahiti gig in '03. Would like to see Rich & Sheri again..maybe Vito, too.
Howard (and Carol) Keiper
Sea Quest E-35 II #174
Berkeley

Dan Hayes

Member III
Friday Night is Ericson Night at Strictly Sail !

OK, so, Friday night seems to be the night best for everyone... shall we pick a place and time to "raft up" and have a cold one? Loren, you've been there before, can you think of a place we can meet Friday late afternoon or evening - is there a bar on site? (That's probably a dumb question - all those sailors, you know there's a bar on site...)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last year we had a light dinner and microbrews at a nice place called Barclays Pub at the Square. This year that location is evidently closed. The Jack London Square web page shows several restaurants -- I have no idea which is affordable.
It is now looking like there will be a sparate gathering for our Portland RCYC show attendees, since one of our members now lives aboard across the way (on a beautiful KP 44) at Grand Marina in Almeda. This will likely be on Friday night.
I wonder if one of the local Ericson/Olson sailors might like to host a group for a Saturday sail -- we could all chip in for drinks and food...

Well, It's just a thought...

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Drinks and maybe a sail on Aiki

So Aiki is almost complete on the interior, missing a few bits of trim, but hey everyone can overlook that right?

I too am at grand Marina. I would love to have the group over. Might even be able to do a sail. All that we need to get the boat ready to sail is about 4 or 5 days where it doesn't bucket down rain between then and now, so I can get up the stick, get the new halyards in, and get the lifelines finished.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Guy and Melissa Stevens
Aiki Ericson 46
Alameda California.

Charlie B.

Member II
Greetings from one of the Locals from the Bay Area. I just confirmed what Loren said about the Barclay's Pub and they have apparently changed hands! :mad: There are other restaurants on the Jack London Square that I could recommend. The first that comes to mind would be TGIF Friday's. Less pricey than most of the others there. The other would be Chevy's on the Alameda side. Both can handle large groups with a little forewarning.

Charlie

PS: I would be willing to take out of town Ericson sailors for a spin on the Bay Saturday in our Ericson/Olson 34.

boatboy

Inactive Member
Guy,
Melissa and I would definitely be interested in feeling what it's like to sail on a BIG Ericson. Count us in if you have room. Good luck in the non-rain department.

Another place to possibly consider for a get together would be Quinn's Lighthouse just a little further down the estuary. This is a peanut shells on the floor type of place with a bunch of beers on tap. They also have a good sized outside deck overlooking the boats and serve a pretty decent dinner as well.
http://www.quinnslighthouse.com/

Blue Chip

Member III
I agree on the Barclays question. TGIF would do well, and the CHEVYS could be reachd by water taxi I think from the show. It's just across the estuary. In fact, bring your dink andand you're in business.
OK..maybe TGIF is easier.
Blue Chip is across the extuary in Grand Marina too.
Mark May