• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hood Furler with 3 into 1 extrusion - Which one is it?

wurzner

Member III
I purchased a used furler on ebay and am trying to figure out which one it is. It's in good shape and has a split drum which I like for racing. I'll only use the furler once a year for my cruise, so I wasn't too excited about dropping ~3 k for system and sail. That being said, the hood system uses a 3 piece extrusion where a track attaches to each side of the central extrusion. Anyone know which model this sounds like and have any feedback on it. I plan on rebuilding the key parts if warranted, but am curious about the three part extrusions. Since it has a split drum, I'm would guess that it isn't that old? :

thanks
shaun
:confused:

Guy Stevens

Older System

This sounds like one of the older systems before they went to a single piece for the extruision sections.

If it is the one that I think it is it has the advantage and disadvantage of having chevy rear end bearings for the main bearings.

Take a photo and I can tell more.

Guy
:)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hood Furler

We will need to see a shot to be sure-actually if it has a split drum I would think it is more recent-Actually sounds like it is the higher end version-the newer, low cost versions have the single piece plastic extrusions-but if it is a split drum, metal extrusion is a fairly current and high end-GOOD STUFF

wurzner

Member III
Here are some photos of the Furler-Does this help?

I've attached a few photos. Does this help at all?

thanks
shaun

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hood

What is that to the left of the Hood stuff-your old furler? Looks like the lower end (newer) Hood stuff-

I wonder if you have a hybrid system there-your 3 piece set up looks old school Hood-because if I see it right, one groove will face fwd, and one aft-is this right? I only say this as I don't recall Hood having this set AND a split drum at the same time-did you go to the sites I suggested?-Either way, if it came off a boat and definitley was working them you still got a good deal (I guess I should ask what you paid first)-as this is all high quality gear.. Why did you change in the fisrt place?
S

Guy Stevens

Furler

Early 80's Hood, not really a split drum for removing when racing, but rather the way that it is constructed. You wont be able to remove it for racing without making a greesy mess of the entire fordeck, and having the sections come apart all the way up the stay.

The bearnings that the greese fitting goes to are the rear axel bearings from a chevy car. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace. They generally last about 5 years. When you replace them, remove the seal from the inside of both of the bearings so the zirk fitting can pump greese into them when you put it back together.

They work, not as smooth or as low maintaince as the newer models.

(What is the extrusion from a Profurl doing in the photo?)

Make sure that you have a wrap stop unit installed on the mast, necessary on these especially as that long cross section really tends to promote halyard wrap. Also originally you were directed to place a large washer above the last section at the top of the furler to prevent the upper bearing coming off, this is also a necesity, if you don't have it, the upper bearing tends to jam, and getting the sail down requires a trip aloft.

:p
Guy
:)

Last edited: