• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

spinniker pole on a 35 II

admirals barge

Member III
hi all

74 35 II # 325

the boat is new to me and have been working on her since i got her in dec last year. was looking at the mast the other day and noticed that the baby stays would prevent the spin pole from going 90 deg to the mast. then i noticed that on the deck there is a pad eye unused and it would lead the forward stay even with the mast. my thoughts were that when you fly the kite you move the forward stay to the pad eye and thus can get the pole 90 deg. this would seem to be a lot of work having to move the stay all the time.
any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks
greg

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
You're too deep...

The general theory on guy/pole trim is to keep it 90 degrees to the apparent wind angle... So you wouldn't ever want the pole back that far anyway-- you'd be too deep and about to crash gybe. Gybing is the only time it would need to go back anywhere near that far in order to get good rotation as you drive through and prevent it from coming through the for-triangle... but it doesn't need to come all the way back, just far enough to let the boat rotate underneath it.
All this is assuming that I understand your baby stay set-up... :rolleyes:
so take it for what it's worth...
Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Forward lowers

I think you are referring to the forward lowers-a baby stay is attached on centerline and were used to both add bend in the lower part of the mast and reduce mast pumping in big seas. I don't recall the 35-2's ever having them-main ly because the forward lowers to much the same thing.

In fact, some of the racing 35's had a quick release fitting on the forward lowers so you COULD remove the windward one while running deep precisely so that you can move the pole aft for deep running. There would be times when you would want the pole that far back-on this boat. Many newer boats do not generally sail that deep (better VMG at higher angles), but the 35's can and do.

How much does it really help? Hard to say-and you must stay on top of this-replacing them when the pole is not that far aft. Most of the 35's racing today simply limit the pole travel to the forward lowers, but I would probably go for it-it comes down to the level of talent on board, I think...

S

Last edited: