• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'Kunu' gets new Awlgrip hull

CaptDan

Member III
Just had to share these shots of the fine work done by the paint shop at SeaView East in Seattle.

Took my breath away, it did. :)

Attachments

• Kunu1.jpg
    Kunu1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 517
  • kunu3.jpg
    kunu3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 494
  • kunu7.jpg
    kunu7.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 533

Art Mullinax

Member III
Absolutely gorgeous. These boats still have a fine line that will turn a mans eye! Did they remove the rub rail or tape it off?
Art M.

CaptDan

Member III
Art Mullinax said:
Absolutely gorgeous. These boats still have a fine line that will turn a mans eye! Did they remove the rub rail or tape it off?
Art M.

Hi Art,

They taped it off; did a thorough prep on everything, then covered the coach/deck with plastic before spraying.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Capt. Dan - would you be able to post a picture of the chainplates and the stanchions next to them, to give me an idea where to mount them as I rebuild the deck?
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

chrism

Inactive Member
We had it done last year, it is breathtaking when you first walk in and see her like that...

Wait 'till you start turning heads in the harbor!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Shine!

Hindsight says you were right to have that done, Dan. Going to try a gel coat polish next year on mine. If it wasn't for that diesel heater I want, I'd be tempted to do the same.

Makes you want to find an alternative to fenders forever, doesn't it?

Is the name and port a paint job or vinyl lettering?

Cheers,

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
gareth harris said:
Capt. Dan - would you be able to post a picture of the chainplates and the stanchions next to them, to give me an idea where to mount them as I rebuild the deck?
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Hi Gareth,

I'd be glad to. Hope you're not in too big a hurry as it will take me about a week to get them shot and posted. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

CaptDan

Member III
footrope said:
Hindsight says you were right to have that done, Dan. Going to try a gel coat polish next year on mine. If it wasn't for that diesel heater I want, I'd be tempted to do the same.

Makes you want to find an alternative to fenders forever, doesn't it?

Is the name and port a paint job or vinyl lettering?

Cheers,

Craig,

Believe me if I could've just done a wax job, I'd have few more bux in the wallet. Unfortunately it wasn't in the cards - the hull was screaming for paint.

The transom lettering is vinyl. I asked the yard to match the font/style of the previous version which they did quite well. In fact, I think it's an improvement. The original boat name was a graduated black to dark blue, silver outline. I don't miss the gradation. I believe the folks at Prism on Westlake Ave did the font work.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

CaptDan

Member III
CaptDan said:
Hi Gareth,

I'd be glad to. Hope you're not in too big a hurry as it will take me about a week to get them shot and posted. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Gareth I owe you an apology - this completely slipped my mind. Seven weeks later and I've been involved with a lot of other projects, only few boat-related.

One technical problem: my boat is med-tied with no finger piers. This will make it difficult to obtain shots with the correct angle-to-object relative to camera. I CAN get shots forward of the beam. Would that still serve your purpose - assuming you haven't already proceeded with the stanchions?

Let me know.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat is in storage a long way away right now. I am looking for a guide on where to mount the extra stanchions when I finish rebuilding the deck next year. A picture, maybe with a ruler to show distance, of where the stanchion sits relative to the chainplate is what would be helpful.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

rdesjardins

E23-1 Hull 165
Colors of the Kunu?

What are the colors you used for the stripes topsides and bottom paint? Getting ready to paint my E23-1 and I really like those blues. I take it the sides are white?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Gareth, do you not still have the stanchion holes on the underside of the deck to go by? Did I miss something here?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
No, I am not sure what the original set up was, but there is no sign of a stanchion ever having been there. I have wondered if the lifelines were attached to the shrouds instead, but if others had a stanchion then I have no idea what happened.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

CaptDan

Member III
What are the colors you used for the stripes topsides and bottom paint? Getting ready to paint my E23-1 and I really like those blues. I take it the sides are white?

Wow! A blast from the past (subject-wise):egrin:

I'll have to check my records to find the exact names of the Awlgrip colors, but if memory serves, the hull is an 'off-white-gloss,' and the shear/boot stripes a 'royal' or dark blue. I tried to duplicate the original blue hue, but chose a slightly deeper white than the brighter factory original.

If I can dig up the exact Awlgrip names I'll post them here. But no matter what, nothing beats seeing your freshly Awlgripped boat in the shed.:)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

CaptDan

Member III
My boat is in storage a long way away right now. I am looking for a guide on where to mount the extra stanchions when I finish rebuilding the deck next year. A picture, maybe with a ruler to show distance, of where the stanchion sits relative to the chainplate is what would be helpful.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Another thing I never did that I said I would.:esad: Sorry, Gareth.

Did you ever solve that question, or do you still need pix?

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
But, SS stanchions cost money!

FWIW...
I have observed a number of sailboats, from diverse builders, that seized the "usually single wire" life line to the outer shroud at that part of the side deck, in the 60's and early 70's.
At some point the buyers must have become more willing to pay for a more detailed-out stanchion system.
Of course, back in those halcyon days, pulpits, lifelines, and the anodizing on the aluminum spars were extra-cost options... :rolleyes:
By the late 70's, I still remember the arguments, both ways, at a PIYA meeting over whether racing boats under a certain length (about 18' as I recall) should have life lines and whether stanchions over 18" high should be required.

Both the standards of the industry and the sophistication of the buyers have changed (and occasionally improved...) since those days.
;)

Loren