• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Why do we race?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
This well worded write up was in today's Scuttlebutt-for those who don't read it I am posting it for you-it applies as much to cruising as well-I think:

WHY RACE SAILBOATS?
"No more expensive way of going really slowly been invented by man than
sailing." (Chris Caswell, The Quotable Sailor). No less of a quandary to
the land lubber is the idea of racing boats moving at speeds no faster than
a man can run...

But regardless of the outsider's view, there is something about the sport
of Yacht Racing -- the heart pounding pressure of competition, the brain
straining tactics and strategy, the fortune telling of wind events, the
stress of seeing heavy floating masses of fiberglass converge just inches
apart with no brakes, the tension of stop watches clicking the seconds
away, the sounds of grinding winches, crackling sails, hull pounding waves
and the firing start gun, the intense focus on telltales and advancing
waves, and the winning or getting closer to winning -- that just gives us
all a rush and keeps us coming back for more week after week. We just love
the challenge.

Yacht Racing is also known as the most complex sport ever invented by man.
Pick a sport. Any sport. And find that in sailboat racing the venue is not
a fixed football field or basketball court or even a racetrack, but is a
changing surface that is sometimes flat, choppy, confused, peppered with
different sized waves with different periods and heights, coming at the
boat from different directions, with characteristics that differ from
location to location.

A sport where the predominant forces of wind and water are unknown from
moment to moment, where velocity, direction, and consistency may vary by
height from sea level. A sport where the participating vessels can only
move forward and the predominant factor controlling chaos is the
"corinthian spirit" and each participant's understanding of the rules. A
sport driven by teamwork, intellect and sometimes physical and mental
endurance. A sport where sometimes different boats may be used, each
variant having a different speed, different rigging and sails and unceasing
learning. - Excerpt from a story on the Yacht Racers Online website, full
story: http://www.yachtracersonline.com/why_race_sailboats.htm

This is why we do it-thank you very much.

Fair winds to all,

S

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Other reasons to race

Nicely put.

But for those of us a little less intospective.....Why do we race - for the beer? :)

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I'm going with Frank's version myself. BTW EPIC sailing on Chesapeake Bay last night. 15-18kts from the south. 3' seas, full moon. Reefed main and 125% of the RF out. What a great ride. I had a tough time coming in before midnight and now I'm paying for it at the desk. Well worth it though...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Whoa!

Randy Rutledge said:
And I thought it was to learn. Boy! was I confused,

Yep! I've discovered that you're supposed to KNOW! :eek:
Actually, I agree... racing provides a training ground to make you a much better sailor. Things that go wrong on the cruising boat now elicit a response that involves a plan to fix it with minimal forward momentum lost- not thoughts of panic. Also makes you set better goals for yourself. Saw 7.1 knts through the water on our 38 on sunday in 12 knts of breeze. We were pretty happy!
Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
and more

Since there are a lot of 38-ers out there, I thought you might enjoy knowing I have seen 13+ knots on a 38-while surfing down a large wave in about 25-30 knots of breeze-kite up.

There were some big eyes in the 'pit for sure, but all had been faster on other race boats-but not with as much furniture!!!

S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
no thanks

I've seen 13 on the Farr 395 heeled over with the kite up...
I'd prefer to never, ever, see 13 knts on our speedo-- unless that's telling me it's broken. :egrin:
Chris

Well, I should qualify that: I'd be OK with it if Seth is funding all the upgrades to get it ready so it doesn't rip itself apart ("Dear Santa Seth, I'd like new standing rigging, new sails, all new running rigging...")

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Santa? 13 knots?

Chris,

Much as I would love to fund all your toys, the only people who could call me Santa are my kids-and that is 'cause they are still too young to know how little $ I have!

Remember, I am a recovering sailing industry professional, so by definition, I can barely fund my car payments (maybe not that bad)-but my heart is in the right place!

Well, certainly the 395's can do that and then some, but of many production boats-the E boats certainly won't fall apart-I would rather push these boats than say a Morgan, or a Hunter, etc. No reason at all why this would be a bad thing on a 38 in the right conditions!! Some of the 38's that have been raced have rod rigging, etc. but really all you need are a good driver, a few good sails and the right conditions!

Fair winds!

S

E33Mike

Way back in my impetous youth, I raced for the glory, the trophys, the "thrill of victory, etc." It only took my about three decades to figure out that there would ALWAYS be other skippers on the race course with (pick one, or more of the following:) better sailing skills, better boat, better sails, better crew, better boat preparation, etc. I still race. I rarely win. I still find racing rewarding because of a change in MY attitude. I race for fun! My enjoyment of racing is sailing a good boat that is fully crewed, with compatible sailing frends who also have a similar attitude, to a high level of performance (higher than can be done while cruising short handed), in close company with other racers on a grand and glorious afternoon on the water. Racing also keeps me in better "tune" with my boat and alert to small problems that could become major ones at more inconvenient times. It keeps my sailing skills at a higher level. When the race is over, we break out the BEER. My question is: "Why not race?"

Mike Oxborrow
E-33 J.P Foolish

escapade

Inactive Member
what he said

Webster's definition of an "escapade" is that it's a foolish endeavor. Does there seem to be a pattern here? Go figure, and I thought it was just for the beer!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade" :cheers:

hodo

Member III
What else can you do on a day when it's 40 degrees, raining, and blowing the dog off the chain? I heard some where that it is one sport where you can experience sheer terror at 10 mph. It does show you that the boat is usually tougher than we are, and, what a great way to get heavy weather experience on purpose. It comes in handy. After the Salmon bake with race friends on Sat. we start are fall/winter season. Remember 1,have fun, 2, dont get hurt,3, stay on the boat, dont break the boat. (that was added by the skipper). RACE FAST EVERYONE! Hodo :devil: