• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32 Mk3 offshore experiences wanted

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
E-32 Mk3 going offshore

I get to crew an Ericson 32 Mk 3 down the Washington coast in a couple weeks. Any comments from you owners about: handling, best bunk, your experiences in varying sea conditions? :eek:

This is the same hull as the 32/200, as far as I know, and it is seemingly in the same "design group" as similar Ericsons from the mid-80's.
The boat is quite well equipped with radar and chartplotter. It also has a full-size dodger. :D

The owner will be back lurking on this forum once we return, so be tactfull with your commentary! :rolleyes:

I am really looking forward to the trip, having just finished a similar route in a lightweight Hunter 31 with another old friend. The contrast should be, um, "interesting."

As always, I look forward to reading the experiences of this fine and helpful group.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8 (which has seldom left the dock, so far, this summer)

Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Loren, sounds like fun. Can't say I've taken my boat into the open ocean, but I have noticed that with large quartering rollers the stern gets slewed around a bit. As for the best bunk (planning on grabbing it before the owner does?) I find that the snugger the better when under sail. On my boat that would be the starboard main salon setee which is fitted with a lee cloth.

Masallah 04

Member II
Loren....
You'll have a great time. I just got back from a long weekend sail up the Oregon coast, and back down to Newport. Running with the swell and wind is a hoot, but my boat, an E35mkII, is a bit squirrely off wind. I would guess due to the swept back stern. I think the 32 is the same. Basically don't oversteer and don't fight the swell. Try to take the swell on the quarter, as you're being lifted, straighten up, ride the top (surf), and once the swell passes, let the boat's momentum take you to a position where you're in line to take the next swell on the quarter. If you're flying a spinnaker, do all of the above and try to keep the sail as full as possible. It'll have a tendency to deflate in the swell trought, try not to let the sail deflate too much as when it catches the wind again, the "pop" can blow out a clew and tear the sail. It's also tough on your rigging. Also make absolutely certain you've rigged a preventer to keep the boom from flopping back and forth.
Have fun...
Alan
Masallah

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Offshore

Definitely go with the single berths (with leecloth) at sea-you won't roll around so much, and stay our of the bow-unless the water is pretty flat and the breeze is moderate.

Offshore, I find that sleeping on sails, or putting cushions on the floor in the main cabin is one of the best ways to sleep-you can snug(wedge) yourself in and not roll too much, and you are at the lowest and most centered part of the boat-so the "ride" is much gentler-you move MUCH less than you do at the ends (lever arm thing).

A couple of boat management things: excersize your halyards every 4-6 hours-this means the main halyard, and certainly the gennaker if you are flying one, can be moved 3-5 " or so (just enough to move the "wear" spot over the sheave back and forth-this will help ensure you don't wear out a halyard (this is where they fail in offshore stuff-right over the sheave). The Gennaker halyard is fine whether all the way up or even several inches eased, so this is easy. With a cunningham ring on the main, you can play with the halyard quite a bit and still have shape control. The Genoa unfortunately will suffer a bit as you ease, but you still have some adjustment that will maintain a decent shape-in fact-so what if your draft moves just a tad too far back when it is eased, or a tad too far fwd, when it is tight?
Point is, keep em moving so there is not one spot with all the ear and tear!

Finally-keep the hatcboards (or at least the lower 2) in place while offshore. Keep track of which hatches and ports are open-weather permitting.

Watch your electrical consumption-run the engine for about 30 minutes whenever you get close to 11 volts-operate the ship on 1 battery only-keeping the other one topped off for engine starting-you can charge both, though. It is not uncommon to run the engine for 30 minutes every 5-6 hours-it depends on how your boat is set up, but keep an eye on it, and keep one battery full so you always crank the engine.

Harness-did you know that something like 80% of bodies the CG picks up in open water have the zippers down? True. Do NOT use the "aft head" without being clipped on-even in good weather.

Practice MOB procedures with the guys you are sailing with-BEFORE you set off-use the quick stop method if you lose some-just round the boat up-hard to get stopped. Usually, leave the genoa sheet alone and back it. If you do this right (just head up and tack with out doing anything to the sheets) you will be right next to your victim.

Monitor Channel 16 at all times offshore-if you see a freighter or cruise ship and it looks like you be anywhere near them, hail them: "southbound freighter near xx degrees, xx minutes N, xxx degrees, xx minutes W, this is the sailing vessel off your (port/starboard) bow (or stern quarter). When they answer (they should), just confirm you see them (and vice-versa) and your relative headings. Wish them good night. You can also get a position check from them if your GPS is down.

Have fun, gotta get back to work!

S

clayton

Member III
E-32 Mk3 offshore

Loren -
Biggest seas I've been in with the 32-200 were last summer, 6 foot wave height average, with every 5th or 6th wave combining and being 10 - 12 feet height. We were running with the seas, and after awhile, I stopped looking back and went with feel. As Geoff and Alan said, you'll feel the back end start to slew around, but once you feel it, steer to correct, then enjoy the ride. The 32-3 (and 32-200) have big rudders and respond well. Being lighter than the 34-200, 35 and 38, you will feel the waves and swells more. Be careful going into swells and waves, if the wind is light you'll get pushed off, it may be necessary to use the motor to make headway. (Something I'm sure we all know...) I echo Seth's advice about the harness, and jacklines, especially at night. (Judging by the many posts regarding safety on this site, this is redundant.) Have a great time! :egrin:
Clayton

windjunkee

Member III
Loren,

Sounds like fun. I did San Francisco to Long Beach in a Hunter 33 last year. It was a hoot. I piled up cushions and wedged myself in the settee so I wouldn't roll around. In cruising the south pacific, the stern quarter berth was most comfortable (Island Trader 39 ketch). Just did Santa Barbara/King Harbor race. Sailed overnight in my E32-2 and actually slept for an hour or so, but the wind was so light I could have slept any where in the boat and not been disturbed.

By the way, in the race, there were two E-32's ... ours, which is the E32-2 and Aries, which is a 32-3 (the comment was the only similarity between the two boats is the logo). Aries rates out with something like a PHRF 168 and Voice of Reason with a PHRF 180. They beat us on time by about 1/2 hour, but we corrected in front of them. We hung with them until 3 a.m. when we lost sight of them BEHIND US. They slipped past during the night somehow.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull #134

Geoff Nelson

Member II
SB KH race...

Hi Jim,

Fun race- we saw you out there (and an E38- who was that?). Sorry this is off subject but I feel the other E-32's pain. In the J105 fleet we went from 2nd to 5th in the last 2 hrs by loosing the boats behind us in the dark as we tried desperately to make the last 2 miles in 2kt zephyrs- reaching back and forth across the course getting lifted on each board! Grrr.... Followed by a 15 hour motor back to Dago- long day.

To bring it back on subject- problem with sleeping on the floor is people trying to get to the head stepping on your head! My personal favorite is wedged into the aft quarterbirth (except the sounds of the winches over head). If you have probs, a hot cup of coco (with a shot of brandy) to warm the stomach helps me sleep anywhere!

Cheers,

G-

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice Boat!

Trip completed without drama...
Since this was a delivery down the Washington coast to the Columbia River, we were motoring. The winds in the Straits of Juan de Fuca were on the nose as usual, so we stayed in port at Port Angeles for a day while it blew at over 20 kts and square seas marched down the Straits. Then the weather moderated after a front moved through and we took off before dawn to catch the ebb, and motored thru a light rain for several hours, and thence in the clear until we got to the western end and ran into heavy fog patches. Got into Neah Bay with about 100 yards visibility after a total of 7 hours -- a very fast passage. While there we met another sailor that left two days before and bashed down the Straits under power for 14 hours to go the same distance.... :eek:

Next morning we set out in moderate to thick fog and never saw a hint of land again until we were *inside* the jetties at the entrance of the Columbia River, 29 hours later. :cool:
The seas ranged from 3 to 5 feet, on the quarter and on the beam. Little rolly at times but not too bad. All motoring, as the winds were light.
Sleeping was on the seat outside the lowered table and the settee on the starboard side. We had two on watch, with a rotation every two hours for the one night at sea.
The final approach (< 17 miles) to the north side of the Columbia bar was rough, with some seas near 9 feet, but none broke on deck. We had sched'ed the arrival for the start of flood and the bar itself was smooth.
Only quibble I have was that the quarter berth, while snug enough for good rest, was too short for my 6'2" frame.
The motion of the boat was very soft in big seas. Excellent design! I have done a similar delivery in a bigger Catalina and a similar-size Hunter this summer and both of those would pound and slam in any kind of chop.
The Bruce King pedigree is worth a lot! :)

Instruments: we had a new Garmin color chartplotter and a Furuno grayscale radar -- both were absolutely indispensable.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited: