• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Woo-hoo! My first tow. :(

Mikebat

Member III
Not exactly a cause to celebrate, but I'm glad I got my BoatUS membership. I had taken on 11 gallons of diesel at the Isthmus fuel dock before departing, and didn't have any trouble motoring out into the wind. Had a wonderful downwind sail under overcast skies, but the diesel wouldn't start as I was approaching the Los Angeles gate. I knew enough about diesels to think that the first thing was to check or change the fuel filters, but after rummaging in the lockers, it seemed the P.O did not bequeath me a replacement fuel filter. Apparently I didn't know enough about diesels to have learned the THIS MEANS YOU lesson and stocked the boat with replacement filters and actually learned how to replace one - you know, like at the dock when the boat isn't moving. So I decided to call Vessel Assist and get a tow.

BoatUS only charges $109 a year for 1st class idiot insurance, and I'm glad I had it. :egrin:

HGSail

Member III
Although I have not had a situation on which to have to use it myself, I won't leave the harbor without it.

Pat
E29
Holy Guacamole

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tows suck

One VERY important thing to learn is how to bleed the air out of your fuel system-this is most often the problem: Low on fuel, while sailing (engine on), you unport the fuel tank and allow air into the system. The engine may still run a few minutes, and sometimes you will shut it down before the air gets to the injectors. On start up, crank, crank, nothing. Get the boat level and bleed it...

If this is old news, my apologies. If not, learn this from the manual and practice it. It can be a bit messy the first time, but a great skill-with practice you can do it in 5 minutes.
Might save you a tow...
Cheers,