• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

SSB radio

Geoff Nelson

Member II
Anyone have any thoughts on SSB? I am comtemplating taking my 381 to Mex this winter and think SSB may be something I want to look into but my only attempt at SSB was playing with one occassionally on a delivery to HI and got frustrated trying to figure it out. Any prefs on brands/models? Hints on licensing? Grounding/antenna info specifically for the Ericson?

Thanks,

G-

Night_Sailor

If you are at all good with reading manuals and programming radios, I recommend the ICOM 706, which is a HAM radio and will operate on the SSB maritime bands. You should play around with such a radio and get comfortable with it before you leave the dock. On the ocean is no time to be trying to figure out a radio.

I use one of these in my truck, on my boat, and at home.

Advantages of HAM radio's--The best reason to get one is you can spin the dial to change frequencies while most marine SSB require punching in the numerical frequenices and then programming them into memory. Sound easy? It is not. It's a PITA. It is SO much easier to spin the dial to a given frequency and be on the air after pressing the autotune button to tune the radio.

I use an insulated backstay cut to be out of reach from someone on deck and otherwise as long as possible for good regional coverage.

One final note. It is worthwhile getting a HAM license. They are cheap, and not difficult to test for. The HAM community is very helpful. A percentage of HAM's are shut-in's--blind, parapalegic, or elderly, that can't leave their homes easily. These people are fun to talk to and monitor the airwaves constantly. If you make friends with some, they will listen for you on a given frequency and provide helpful services. They are only to glad to help you pass email messages, or make phone calls--all of which could be lifesavers in an emergency. In return, they get to live through your related experiences.

Lew Decker

Member III
Ssb

Don't be put off by the now minimal Morse code requirement. If the desire is there, you can learn it in an evening of work. Copying at 5 WPM is a piece of cake since you don't have to be that accurate. Check out Gordon West's books and tapes, and go to qth.com or one of the other ham sites where you can take simulated theory and rules tests. Do those often enough and you can pass the General exam without a lot of sweat.

Safety issues aside, ham radio is a great hobby. If you are out bobbing around in an Ericson, radio amateurs from all over the world will scramble to talk to you. As anachronistic as it is (given the international communications ability for anyone with a computer), amateur radio is still a worthwhile pursuit. I enjoy it.

Good luck ------ Lew, KG6JMN, ex-KI6DR, ex-KN4INW :)

Howard Keiper

Read all you can about your pending installation. Strange as it may sound, the West Advisor has a lot of useful info about it. Remember, half of your antenna system (and it is a system) is the ground plane inside your boat. Pay a lot of attention to it.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
E-35 Berkeley

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Geoff -
I found a very helpful radio store in San Diego, their name is in a file of mine I will not see any time soon, but they are in the yellow pages under radio equipment (or words to that effect), and about half way between downtown and Miramar. They gave me the info on getting a license and a lot of good advice in general.
The radio I got from them never once failed to give good voice reception anywhere I went between San Diego and Kuwait (listening to classical music was mostly futile); that said, there are other alternatives in satellite systems that would be worth you looking into before you spend any money. If you can get away with just email that changes things.
The biggest factor in transmission capability, irrespective of model, is the antenna installation. I agree with Howard 100%, read into it in depth (I am sure there would be something specific to sailboats available at Sea Breeze).
There is something very nice about contact with the outside world when you have not seen land in weeks.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Marine mobile

The set up I've had on my last 2 boats is a Kenwood TS-50
running to an SGC tuner hooked up to an insulated backstay.
Although it's a ham unit, removal of 1 blocking diode will let
you work all the SSB frequencies and that SGC unit does
a fantastic job of matching impendance. You don't need
yards of copper tape running through your boat to get
a decent ground plane either.

Martin
Ericson30freaking1C