• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

blistering

hist101

I have heard that blistering on Ericson 26's is very common. I was wondering if that is the experience of owners? I was looking at a 1988 model, and it had many. It had been in salt water for all but the last four years. The owner claims it never had any before.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You ask if blistering is common...
The frustrating answer is: yes and no. Many different boats from the early 80's onwards have blistering, including (!) Ericsons.
It is common knowledge that boats going from salt to fresh water often blossom out in blisters. Some years ago this was noted in a PS owner survey. I found it to be true with our previous boat, but so far our '88 Ericson/Olson has not done this. No, I do not know why.
The evidence is annecdotal, but, to me, is convincing. The owner of the E26 is probably telling you the truth, in other words.
Have it surveyed. Shallow blisters are common on most boats built in the last two decades. As long as they do not go into the laminate, just grind 'em out and fill with a good quality filler (no "Bondo" or any similar product with clay filler...).
Best of luck,
Loren in Portland, OR

Hans

Loren is correct. Just last week I got my (wonderful) '76 E27 back in the water after 3 weeks in the yard. It would have been a much shorter stay on the hard but the first thing the yard man showed me was how to feel a blister. By the time I was through feeling I had over 2 dozen, ranging in size from 2 to 6 inches in diameter. After my initial panic, they showed me how to dry and grind the blisters out, coat with epoxy resin, fill with resin and glass, coat with cabosil, barrier coat, and sand.

Nothing too difficult, just tedious. My advice is let the yard do the grinding and sanding (very dirty), you can do the patchwork after a short lesson or two. It is no big deal.

More advice: when you first drill out the blisters to drain them try not to drill through the hull. I did in one area that turned out to not be a blister, and it never got filled. My bilge filled soon after I was first back in the water and the boat had to stay in the cradle an extra night for the final patch job.

Hans in Tampa
S/V Hedgehog