• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Off to Mackinac

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I will sailing in this years' Mac Race leaving July 16-hoping to repeat last years' division win..

If there are any members going, I will be aboard Karma, in the Ben. 36.7 division-feel free to look me up! :devil:

Cheers,
S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Have fun!!

Have a great time!
I just jumped ship from the Farr 395 to a Ben 36.7 and it seems like a fun boat. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Chris

Ed Valente

Member II
See ya up there

Seth,
Good luck. Im going to be racing the Mac again in Dionysus (Ericson / O911). Looks like we have two Ericson 35s in section 9 to compete against. Are you buying at the Pink Pony ?

Ed.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Ed, Best of luck to you!
Give us a report sometime on sailing on the Olson 911s. I have not had the opportunity.
I really like the handling of our O-34, and wonder if the smaller "original version" (upon which my design is based) is as much fun... and even more nimble.
:)

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Of course

Thanks everyone! Ed-I've been watching you (so I know you are going)! If you want to review weather before the start, give me a call, and DON'T forget to download the surface current charts!!! They are running above 1.1 kts. in some parts of the lake, and this could be a huge factor. If you did not know, the website is: http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/msfcur+60.html.

Anyone racing or cruising on the Lakes would do well to be familiar with this-you might be surprised!

Regarding the 911-it was based (and the tooling originally came from) the Schumacher designed Cabo 30-built by Westerly Marine. This boat was intended as a Maxi-MORC boat, but with a favorable rating. I sailed hull #1 (First Blood) extensively when it came out, and this a a GREAT all around boat! Boats designed to the MORC rule tended to be very moderate in shape and displacement-making them very good all-around performers-not extreme in any condition, and hence very good sea boats. They do not "break away" like the lighter boats, but will maintain very high averages on all points of sail. MORC boats, foot for foot, and much faster than their IOR counterparts of the smae size because of the realatively smooth, fair, hull shapes. The 34 foot Ericson/Olson Schumacher boat which looks similar, is also great, and was not designed with ANY rating formula in mind, and may actually be slightly better all around boat because of this-there were simply no rating concessions at all.
Both great boats, though, and yes- drinks are on me at the 'Pony!!!

On the flip side,

Seth

escapade

Inactive Member
Bayview?

Seth
Good luck in the Chi-Mac. Are you going to do the Bayview-Mac also? For those interested go to the Chicago Yacht Club site for race results or to www.byc.com for the Baywiew-Mac results.
Have fun & sail fast!!!
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Mindscape

Member III
Congrats!!!

Looks like Karma, the Ben 36.7 Seth was sailing on took 1st in her division. Congrats Seth!!! Gotta believe it was a long 1st day or 2 with little wind. Looks like it finally picked up. Hope you had fun!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
thanks all

I am very happy to report that the crew on board Karma won her division (all Ben. 36.7's) for the second time on a row-with Padawan2 taking 2nd (for the second time in a row!).

This was a very interesting race from a navigational point of view (my job)-more than any Mac I can remember, the currents played a VERY significant role. Once North of the Wisc. boarder, currents averaged about .8 knots-typically to the East. At times they hit 2 knots-with extended periods of 1.4-1.7 knots-The Surface Current forecasts, which I usually use as additional info-were very accurate in terms of direction-and the overall speed of the current was higher than forecast.

We were able to shave considerable distance by setting our gybing angles with the knowledge of how much current offset to use to make our desired net course-this worked out to 10-15 degrees WEST of the course we wanted. Knowing this ahead of time prevented us from having to run deep downwind, and thus sail at faster angles-also we were able to avoid putting our bow square into the current (which the boats who worked the beaches did when they gybed off the beach).

This was the "interesting" part, but the best part was the 20-30+ knots of reaching and running in good sized waves-for those who knows the area, we made it from the Grays reef bouy (top one) to the bridge (19.5 nm, I believe) in LESS than 2 hours-think about that for a 36 foot cruiser-racer!!

Anyway, we had a roughly 4 miles lead on the 2nd place boat (who was only 37 seconds behind us last year) this time, which as very sweet!

Thanks to all who sent me wishes of good luck!!!

Fair winds!

Seth

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congratulations!
Funny how "good luck" seems to favor the well-prepared...
:egrin:

Fair winds,
Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
A memory

Thanks Loren-In fact, while we were on that screaming "fire hose reach", I was recalling my days sailing the prototype Ericson 33-"Outlaw". This boat had a tiller, custom noodly Sparcraft rig, extremely lightweight, simple, custom interior, and was "hella fast" in those conditions.

That boat still lurks around SoCal somewhere-it was a light air and doownwind rocket-the keel was not heavy enough for heavy air upwind work (for the rating), but in its' conditions it was a ton of fun...

Ah, the memories.....
Thanks all!

S