• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Flotsam & Jetsam

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Good evening,

Ellen and I just returned today after a one-nighter over at Blake Island. We were not blessed with much wind for either direction, but we did have a nice quiet night at anchor on the west side. Our first set in many moons wasn't too bad and the pair rafted up just north of us very graciously said we could stay - we were a little closer than I usually like to be. It was a dead calm night.

Well, what I wanted to pose to you members was a question about lost & found floating items - stuff you've lost overboard and stuff you've found out in the trackless waters you've sailed.

On the way to Blake on Sunday afternoon we passed by a wooden dinghy oar out near the center of the shipping lanes in front of Elliott Bay. We reversed course (motoring) and picked it up. It was in good shape, floating vertically paddle-end up. Bob bob bob. I've fished out a fender or two over the years, and passed by more than one floating auto tire (too groty and heavy to bother with), and I've even lost several hats - they sank (or were left behind by the skipper since he pays the race entry fees). My current and favorite hat (the puffin) floats, so I have high hopes for it's longevity.

So, what about you?

P.S. If you're missing a dinghy oar....

chrism

Inactive Member
Several Boathooks. Carelessness.

Several Hats.

Glasses.

Shoes.

Outboards... (yes, plural :mad: )

Seen a lot of wood, balloons, shoes, tires, free lobster pots.

Beach after a storm is interesting, of course.

Saw a holding tank while walking the beach in the Abacos after a storm.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Don't forget to check...

On vacation this year in St. Maarten we (ok- I) lost the dinghy ancor (guess I should have checked to see if it was actually connected to the rode) and another of our crew lost a winch handle overboard. We dove to retrieve the boathook that went over.
Chris

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
When I was a youth on Dye's Inlet (Puget Sound) near Bremerton, WA. I was sailing in my 9' Dinghy near Clam Island (only visible at low tide) when I came across a nice little Sabot adrift. I sailed over to the dink and attached a line, intending to take my prize home. I got half way back across the Inlet when a Sea Plane landed in the middle of the Inlet. The plane proceeded to taxi in my direction. The pilot opened the hatch and said, "Hey you found my Dinghy!" He then asked if I would do him a favor and tow it to his dock on the opposite side of the Inlet. As compensation for my efforts he offered me a ride in the Sea Plane. I accepted the offer, left both dinks adrift in the middle of the inlet and off we went. We did about a fifteen minute jaunt around the inlet and over my home and school. He even let me take the stick for a moment. I must have only been around 12 or 13 at the time. After my adventure I returned the dink to the pilots dock and sailed back home. I will never forget that! :egrin:

mark reed

Member III
Worst thing lost overboard (so far): Magma bbq :boohoo:

That was from our first boat (Nor'sea 27). Easiest way to lose stuff from the Ericson 38 is to set it down on the starboard cockpit seat, then open the lazarette! So far I've launched a couple of padlocks and cushions (recovered the cushions).

Lost our ensign from the backstay last week. Guess I better re-learn the icicle hitch :esad:

Best things we've found adrift: fenders, hats, and our friends' sea kayak after it floated off a nearby beach the night before.

Best beach flotsam: glass Japanese fishing net float

Most interesting beach flotsam: pieces of spacecraft on a beach in the Exumas, and an ATV on the West Coast of Vancouver Island (see pic)

Attachments

• ATV.jpg
    ATV.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 142

Emerald

I can't say that I've had any great finds or losses, but thinking of hats, I always use the lost floating hat as a man overboard rescue drill. (obviously, I'm a cruiser and not worried about my entrance fee :egrin: )

-David
Independence 31
Emerald