• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wrinkles in the main

Gary G

Member II
From time to time I have wrinkles in the mainsail (mainly the bottom third or so) of my E28+ that I have trouble removing. I've found this picture of a Catalina that shows the kind of thing I sometimes see on my boat. (Although the picture's quite a bit worse than what I experience.) http://anchorageyachtclub.net/gallery1/Winthrop-Harbor-Race-Cruise/DSC02875?full=1
Any suggestions as to how to adjust the sail controls to get rid of this kind of thing? Or do I just need a new sail? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Several things possibly going on here and I am sure resident sailmakers will chime in. Looks like: a lack of halyard tension, sliding gooseneck that has slid too high, too much bend in the lower section of mast (not likely), lack of a cunningham, tired sail cloth.

Sven

Seglare
Until Seth chimes in with the answer ...

Have you tried just using the downhaul ?

If that doesn't do it, letting up on the outhaul ?

-Sven

Gary G

Member II
Sven,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm adding a Cunningham this weekend and I'll also try easing the outhaul more. Can anyone tell me how much "range" there is in the outhaul between fully "on" and completely eased? (3 inches, 6 inches, or what?) To reiterate others' remarks - this is a great forum and thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

Gary

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Main wrinkles

Sorry guys-been on the road and on the race course with "Valentor" and Rogue!

The wrinkles coming from the mast area are from lack of luff tension. First make sure the halyard is all the way up, then you could try some cunningham. The wrinkles in the back are from old soft cloth that is starting to give out along the batten line-you will begin to see a ridge along the inboard end of the battens..You are not that far from a new mainsail if you want a better look.

I am not much of an outhaul easer, since when you ease the outhaul, the distance from the tack to the clew decreases, which reduces your projected area, and when running downhill, that is all you have.
My rule (depending on condition of the sail) is about 3" of adjustment from max flat to max ease-

Sail safe!

S