• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lightning ground on E34

sailingdeacon

Member III
Was the E34 (1987) designed with a wire ground from the mast to the keel bolts? I do not see such a ground in my recently purchased E34. The original owner installed a replacement mast. Continuity checks reveal that the mast is "connected" to the keel bolts and shrouds but I can not see a wire connection at the bolts. The mast is inserted into sort of a receptacle at the keel however. Additionally the boat has a large external ground plate originally intended for a SSB radio. I have not been able to determine the extent of the electrical grounding.

sailingdeacon

Member III
I've been told by the former owner that the boat was not originally grounded for lightning. (Must not have many boomers on the west coast?) So I am going to run a #6 wire from the mast to the keel bolts - before I get fried.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Very Boring Weather Here...

I don't know about the E34 - but I know my 35-3 did not have it (and it had all it's original stuff on it). The weather out here on the West Coast is very boring compared to where you are (save for the occasional earthquake, mudslide or forest fire).

I grew up sailing on the Great Lakes and the South Carolina coast - and have had to face lightening, etc. so I know how you feel. If I were in the Carolinas, I would add a plate as well.

Hey Ray - what do you guys in Florida do about this? I know from my college days at USF that lightening there is as common as sand...

//sse