• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rigging questions

windjunkee

Member III
We're thinking of upgrading our running rigging and also adding a backstay tensioner and am hoping for some input. We have an e32-2, standard rig. About 75-80 percent of our usage is racing.

1. Running rigging. I'll be replacing at least the jib and spinnaker halyard. I'm seeking opinions as to:
a) whether we should go with 3/8 or 7/16;
b) advantages of higher priced lines (i.e. NER sta-set X is around .65/ft and T-900 is 1.93/ft)
c) should I go with a pre-rigged halyard or buy the line with the splice already done and then buy a separate snap shackle.

2. Backstay tensioners. I understand the value of a backstay tensioner for performance, but would it be potentially damaging to the boat, given the mast is stepped to the cabin top. Also, our mast really does not bend, so putting extra tension on the backstay won't bend the mast and flatten the main, but it will affect headstay tension and mast rake.
Finally, if we were to go with the tensioner, there are many different kinds. We're not interested in splitting the backstay and rigging new chainplates, etc, so we're considering going with something installed into the present backstay. What do you think the advantages are of a hydraulic (navtec or sailtec) vs. a mechanical one, such as Harken, which either has handles or uses a winch handle.

Finally, I've check around for prices. Any suggestions for good discounts for lines and other performance equipment? The best I've found on the web is Pyacht, which has better selection than sailnet and slightly better prices.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull #134

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seek and Ye shall Find....

Hi Jim,
See the "Search" word above this, to the right of center? Click on it and put in the words "Halyard replacement." Click on Go or just tap the return key on your keyboard. You will find quite rellevant dicsussion of your situation.
:)
FWIW, 3/8 or 7/16 sounds quite large for a 32 foot boat. Key items are: how well the low-stretch line replacement fits through the sheave at the mast head... and... how it fits through the existing clutches and whether it holds in the jaws of the ST winches you have.
As I explained in an earlier thread, I was very lucky in being able to use 5/16. On our boat, 3/8 is really too snug of a fit in those masthead sheaves...
No one realized back in the 70's and 80's how those wire-to-rope halyards were going to vex the next generation of owners.
:rolleyes:

FWIW, I like our Sailtec integral backstay adjuster, and our mast is not very bendable -- we use it to tighten the headstay for going to weather. I did add a turnbuckle just above the hydraulic adjuster, so that in case the one fails I can still torque 'er up with the other...
("belt and suspenders")

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 Fresh Air
:egrin:

Last edited: