• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Two Harbors for Memorial Day

Mikebat

Member III
New boat name applied to transom: check
Winter storms long gone: check
Replaced worn mainsheet and traveller: check
Upgraded ground tackle (just in case): check
3-day holiday weekend: check
Ericson 32-200 which has not yet crossed the channel: check

There are some things money can't buy. A holiday weekend at Catalina isn't one of them. Oh you'll pay. You'll pay. :egrin:

I plan to visit Two Harbors Saturday night for sure. We'll play it by ear after that. Might sail down to Avalon Sunday, or stay at Two Harbors.

Anyone else?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It's going be crowded, but I am tempted so I can sail along side in a 18 knot blow and yell, "Hey, you're f*%king nuts!!"

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Better get there mid week if you want a mooring. I avoid the place
on any major holiday weekend-way to crowded for my taste.

Martin

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Pride of Cucamonga" will be there!

Ok Mike,

Yup, I will be there. Two Harbors for sure Friday and then maybe up to Ripper's Cove to anchor on Saturday. We will be crossing the Channel, leaving Cabrillo Marina with another boat (named Fantasma, Islander 28) around 9 am. I expect some fog and will have to use the iron spinnaker for a while. ETA should be between 1 and 2 pm. Hope you decide to go! Look for the E-27 with a radar mast on the stern and the name, Pride of Cucamonga and a six legged lizard painted on the transom.

Woo Hoo!

Jeff :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
I won't be leaving until Saturday morning at about 9:00am. But I hope to see you and your Pride this weekend. I have a Viking ship graphic I ordered to put on Valinor's transom but it hasn't arrived yet. We might see about going scuba diving while we're there.

The Two Harbors webcam at http://watchthewater.co.la.ca.us shows plenty of moorings left at mid-week. There's also a three-masted schooner, looks like, anchored outside the harbor. Someone will probably inform me next that it's just the sludge barge, and then I'll feel like Owen Wilson in The Life Aquatic... :oops:

Mikebat

Member III
Jeff and I met each other Sunday morning, just as I was picking up a mooring in Isthmus Cove and he was dropping his. I was motoring down the fairway when this fellow on a moored boat called out "Nice looking Ericson!" and I turned and saw the boat he was on was named "Pride of Cucamonga" and so I introduced myself. Didn't get to visit at all since I was arriving and Jeff was leaving, but it was nice to sight another So Cal Ericson boat and skipper.

I was at the only open mooring at Howland's Landing Saturday night. The harbor patrol guy took mercy on me since I had not gotten my longer anchor rode in time for this trip (something about the splicing guy wanting to go sailing over the holiday - go figure! :) ). So the harbor patrol let me take the 50 ft. mooring for the price of a 32. But without a dingy I had to hitch a ride to shore, then we walked down to Two Harbors from Howland's for dinner. I got a ride from someone on the way back.

Didn't have any wind at all Saturday. I motored all the way (had hot showers from the engine water heater, though!). On Monday we got to sail back all the way to inside the breakwater and up the channel a ways before we started the engine. My boat handles a lot nicer downwind with just the jib up, but I need to get my drifter sail rigged and a pole and track installed so I can pole it out.

All in all - a great weekend!

(Did I mention that the cash I spent on the shoreboat was almost enough to have rented a kayak instead? Gotta get me a dink!)

Sven

Seglare
Mikebat said:
I was at the only open mooring at Howland's Landing Saturday night. The harbor patrol guy took mercy on me since I had not gotten my longer anchor rode in time for this trip (something about the splicing guy wanting to go sailing over the holiday - go figure! :) ). So the harbor patrol let me take the 50 ft. mooring for the price of a 32.

Sounds like you guys lucked out !

We ended up just day sailing over the weekend, the fog in the AM was just too dreary on Saturday.

We did hear from some friends at SMWYC that there were between 80 and a 100 boats ancored in Cherry Cove because the moorings were all taken.

What was the arrangement for shore access ? Was there a temporary dingy dock ?

Glad to hear you got out there and got to enjoy the weekend.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
There was a dinghy dock and the dinks were rafted off of it two and three deep at times. They got the fuel dock back in service on Sunday morning, first time since the ferry accident. Part of the crowding problem was because Newport Boats decided Memorial Day weekend was a great time for a owner's getaway to the Isthmus. The place was crawling with Sunrays. The harbor patrol guy - Frank I think - said the Newport Boats crowd accounted for about 75 boats Saturday night.

But I still had fun, and I think I am going to seek a Cherry Cove mooring next time I go. And I will buy a dink before then, or rent or borrow one before I return. That shoreboat thing really burns me. :esad:

Sven

Seglare
Mikebat said:
There was a dinghy dock and the dinks were rafted off of it two and three deep at times.

But I still had fun, and I think I am going to seek a Cherry Cove mooring next time I go. And I will buy a dink before then, or rent or borrow one before I return. That shoreboat thing really burns me. :esad:

So the main pier was open to foot traffic ?

The shoreboat is still $3 each way, right ?

If you decide you want to get one of the WM PVC coated inflatables I might be willing to trade you our ~1 year old 280 (285 ?) for a new 260. Ours is really bigger than we need it to be an I wish we hadn't let the %#% WM salesman talk us into that when what we wanted was the smallest one. It seems as if they have all gone up in price quite a bit ?

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Sven said:
So the main pier was open to foot traffic ?

The shoreboat is still $3 each way, right ?

Check and check.

Let me think about the dink (tee-hee) and get back to you. I am just now earnestly entering the market and so don't really know what I want yet. :egrin:

There was another Ericson at Howland's Landing besides mine. My boat is at the extreme right in this picture (click on it for full size version 2048x1536). The Ericson 46 is at the extreme left. It probably belongs to someone in the Los Angeles Yacht Club.

Sven

Seglare
Thanks for the picture !

That doesn't look crowded at all ? It also doesn't look like the stringline is in place yet ? It also looks like everyone is bow-out ... the winter set-up.

I can't quite figure out the dock arrangement either, but it looks like the dingy dock is where the fuel dock used to be.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Hey Sven, the 1-year-old inflatable you have is the ROVER AIR 280?

And the one you'd trade it for is a new RU-260 Rollup Sport Dinghy?

Sven

Seglare
Mikebat said:
That's Howland's Landing, Sven, not Isthmus cove. :egrin:

That explains it :)

You'd said that earlier but the neurons were fixed on the busted dock and pier at Isthmus.

I think the dingy is an RU-280 or 285. I have it and the paperwork on the boat but will check next weekend. It is the one with the floor slats.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
It's made of PVC, right? I think I have found a used Zodiak 8.5' inflatable made of Hypalon, just a year old for under a grand. Waiting for a callback from the seller.

Edit to add: Zodiaks are PVC, not Hypalon.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Mike & Sven,

Hi Mike & Sven,

First off it was good to see one of the EY.com guys over there. It took a moment to register that was you Mike. Sorry we couldn't stay but my crew member had to get back. We had been there since Friday. Yup, had to motor all the way on Friday. No wind until late in the afternoon and then it was right on our nose. Very nice E-32 you have there Mike. If we had hooked up earlier I could have shuttled you to shore with my dinghy. I believe they were Sea Rays Mike. The Sea Ray company had a huge area above the beach roped off and big tents set up, live music, food and blah, blah, blah. I was at two different moorages both Friday and Saturday nights. Both nights I had Sea Rays on both sides of me. They were always making some kind of noise, either their generators or big ass motors going. Ugly boats!

Anyway, over all it was another great trip to Two Harbors. Snorkeling was great at Cherry and farther west between Howlands Landing. The live band at the bar was pretty good, lets hear it for the "Noise Boys"! The dock did show signs of repair but seemed functional even on Friday. As far as the Dinghy Dock goes, that another story. Too small and too many dinks as usual. I may invest in the wheels for beach landings rather than risk damage to my expensive dink and OB.

As I mentioned I was at two different moorages Friday and Saturday. When we got in around 2 pm on Friday we got a moorage right away but they could not guarantee me one for Saturday night. Then Saturday morning before I could even finish my first cup of coffee at 8 am they kicked us out. I thought about going up to Ripper's cove to anchor but I got us on the waiting list instead. I then reluctantly went and anchored in front of the camp grounds in about 60 feet of water. We had to put out a stern anchor so we wouldn't swing because there were so many boats in close proximity (50 yards or so). Well just as I was getting comfortable at anchor after only 45 minutes the Harbor Master hailed "Pride of Cucamomga" on the VHF. They had a moorage for us just two moorings away from where we were. Well I took it because of the simple fact that I felt with all those boats at anchor so close together was a recipe for disaster. I don't sleep very well at anchor ever since I broke loose at Smugglers cove on Santa Cruz Island in a 30 knot blow at 4 am in December of 2001. That's another story that I will post on this site some day.

The sail back on Sunday was outstanding! Wind all the way starting at 9 knots at 10 am and building to a crescendo of 22 knots when we arrived at Hurricane Gulch, my home sweet home! What a ride!

Fair the well to you fine Spanish ladies!

Skipper Jeff

:egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
Jeff Asbury said:
The sail back on Sunday was outstanding! Wind all the way starting at 9 knots at 10 am and building to a crescendo of 22 knots when we arrived at Hurricane Gulch, my home sweet home! What a ride!

I don't know what the wind speed was on our trip back Monday, since my instrument isn't working. But there wasn't much and it was from the southeast when we set out from the isthmus at about 10:00am. Valinor ghosted along while everybody else passed us by under power. The first couple of hours we only made about 3.5 knots or less, but I could feel the boat respond to every puff of breeze. I moved the jib sheet cars to the outboard tracks so I could get the headsail more out, and that helped. By about noon the wind had picked up a bit and started turning to the south. I saw a sailboat with a asymetrical spinnaker pass us by, just about the only sailboat besides us that was actually sailing. As the wind turned south, I turned the boat to follow and stay on the reach, until I was about 3 miles due south of Cabrillo beach and the wind had become southwesterly. Not wanting to go to Dana Point, I dropped the main and gybed to the north to head for the Angel's gate with just the jib up on a very broad reach, often running dead downwind. The boat handles a whole lot better downwind with just the jib up. It doesn't do too shabby in a good wind with just the jib, either. I was hitting 6.5 knots coming through Hurricane gulch on a close reach. That was a very useful exercise, I'm glad I insisted on leaving the engine off so I could experiment with the sails. We didn't fire up the engine until I was well up the channel. Even then, there were two boats heading to my marina at Wilmington, wing-and-wing, which made me wish I had a main sail that was easier to handle so I would have raised it again to do the same.

Things I learned on this trip:

1. I must have a dinghy. I spent $60 on the shore boat this weekend, just for 2 people. That's a mere five round trips over a 3-day weekend. Outrageous!
  2. I must do something about my main flaking system (it doesn't have one). Trying to corral and flake the main sail is a real bummer. Makes me not want to use it, the jib is so much easier to furl and unfurl.
  3. Music! I bought a stereo/CD/mp3 player for the boat a few weeks ago, but have not decided where to install it. Lack of music - especially if you have to motor - is a buzz kill sometimes. Other times, it is just the opposite. :egrin:

It was nice to see you Jeff, I am sure we will get a chance to visit next time.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I forgot to mention. The life aquatic!

Oh yeah,

I forgot to mention. When I was snorkeling I came across a huge Jelly fish bigger than my head! It was mainly white with yellow innards and beautiful purple stripes. I will post a photo when the films processed. I also saw a lot of sheepshead, calico bass, kelp fish and blue perch. Not to mention rays, urchins and lobsters. Any place around Cherry and west seems to be a good dive. The environment seems to be getting a lot healthier since I first snorkeled Catalina 3 years ago. The life aquatic!

I will be back at Two Harbors on the 10th, 11th & 12th!

:p :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :devil: :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
When you say main flaking system?

Mike,

When you say main flaking system, are you talking about lazy jacks? I have a friend that installs them cheap. I feel that I would rather do without for my little 27. Just don't want more lines and hardware in my rigging. Might help you though.

As far as stereo, I bought one of those waterproof cases that hangs under the compartment above the 1/4 berth. I just didn't want to cut any big holes in any of the bulkheads.

I got a good price on my dinghy from Trade Winds in Costa Mesa. It was at the time of the boat show so they gave me the boat show rate. Saved a couple hundred. I prefer to Achilles to the boats WM sells, which are mostly PVC and not hypolon.

Mikebat

Member III
Jeff Asbury said:
When you say main flaking system, are you talking about lazy jacks?

Lazy jacks, Dutchman flaking - anything! I have to go up on the cabin top to get the main flaked, and it isn't any fun in the swell. I saw some folks letting loose the halyard on their boat and the main falls down in a nice flake all by itself, ready for sail ties. I want that to happen with mine.

I have a friend that installs them cheap. I feel that I would rather do without for my little 27. Just don't want more lines and hardware in my rigging. Might help you though.

Anything will help - advice on what I'm doing wrong (not unlikely!) would help.

As far as stereo, I bought one of those waterproof cases that hangs under the compartment above the 1/4 berth. I just didn't want to cut any big holes in any of the bulkheads.

I found the place in the aft cabin. The unit has a wired remote which I could pass out one of the ports to the cockpit, or forward to the salon.

I prefer to Achilles to the boats WM sells, which are mostly PVC and not hypolon.

I got a bead on a 2004 model Achilles LSI-96 (hypalon) with a 2000 model year Evinrude E5R4SS 5HP 4-stroke. $1482 for the dink and $999 for the motor. Does that sound like a good deal? It seems like one to me. For just a couple dollars more, I can go with a smaller but "newer" 2005 model year Achilles LSI-88. The motor and dinks are represented as new, in the crate, with manufacturter's warranty. Defender.com is the site I found them at. Would have to pay freight from Waterford, CT, which they estimate at $135.

What do you think?

Last edited: