• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fishing

boatboy

Inactive Member
Obviously we all primarily use our Ericsons for cruising/racing, but I was wondering if any of you also fit fishing into the scope of activities? When we met Bill and Lore at last year's Clipper Cove Raft-Up, they showed us the fishing rig they like to troll while doing cruises to Half Moon Bay. That certainly got Melissa and I inspired with visions of fresh salmon on the grill.

Last year we began the great fishing experiment during two different trips to Drake's Bay. The first time we ended up with a big fat zilch, the second trip netted us one keeper (barely over the legal size). That was a great dinner and definitely got our juices going. Unfortunately the season was just about over.

This year we've done two trips out the gate with the express purpose of filling up an ice chest with fat salmon. The first trip .... well, let's just say it was a learning experience. We got a couple real nice ones TO the boat, but things went horribly awry during the stage of trying to get them IN the boat.

Next time out we reviewed our lessons from the previous week and also brought a much bigger landing net. Since the whole fishing fleet seemed to be heading out to the Farallones, so did we (lesson #1 make sure you fish where everybody else is - they probably know more than you do). Success!! Within about 90 minutes we had our ice chest packed to the top with our legal daily limit. Attached is a picture of one of the dudes.

So far on these trips we seem to be the only sailboat. Does anybody else have any stories of local fishing?

Attachments

• IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 91

boatboy

Inactive Member
Cleaning Up

We did notice one thing quite different when it was time to clean up Pacifca after her weekend fun. We seemed to be hosing off a lot more blood than was typical of a normal weekend cruise. :egrin:

jmoses

Member III
Fishing off boats

After conducting USCG commercial fishing exams last weekend before the start of commercial salmon season here in San Francisco, I can testify to the smell, mess and goo that accompanies fishing off a boat. Man, some of those boats stunk. Granted, they are commercial, but just the same, fish guts and blood are pervasive.

Then you have the crabbing boats, which used the stinkiest bait possible to attract the crabs.......WHOAAA...stinky when you have fish heads and parts sitting in barrels in the sun ready for the crab pots. But, sad as it may be, many crabbers are now using minks. (yes the ones used for fur coats). Since the fur coat industry has no use for the mink bodies after they've been skinned, they are a popular bait for the Dungeness crabbers here in San Francisco since they can be bought rather cheaply. Rather sad to see thousands and thousands of frozen dead minks simply to produce fur coats. Oh well, the crabbers get them cheap, so it's not a total waste, but sad just the same.

Hence forth, I use my local fish monger or hit the boats up when they tie up...saves me the mess, hassle and frustration of a 'no fish' fishing expedition.

LOL
John M.