• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Porta Potty!!!

Bill Robbins

Member II
Hi all.
I currently have not head in my boat. I have two through hulls with valves in place from old head. I am thinking about simplifying everything and using a porta potty and glassing over the through hulls at the next haul out. Does anyone use a porta potty and what do you think of them in general.
Any comment are welcome
Thanks

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Porta Potty on an E35??

Everyone has their limits - but I don't think I would want to go to a porta a potty route.

I would prefer having the whole range of dump/pump-out/pump-over options - as well as an access port on the tank to be able blow it out annually. it is very possible to have a clean, zero smell, well working sanitation system if you just take the necessary steps (annual cleaning, leaving fresh water in the lines, etc.) to put in a good one, and then take care of it.

The other thing you want to consider is the impact your decision will have on your boat's resell value. Glassing over the thru hulls to the sanitation system might scare off potiental buyers who have little knowledge of how to reverse your decision - and a porta potty on a 35 foot sloop will seem more negative in terms of "selling features" (ie - porta pottys are typically found on smaller boats that don't have the option...).

Just my opinion...

//sse

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You also have to consider where you keep the boat. A lot of clubs (and possibly marinas) don't want you parading around with your Porta Potty and dumping it in their toilets. I used to have one on an O'Day 23 and disliked it so much I actually put in a thruhull so that I could discharge it while in the boat (back when this was more legal).

Tom Smith

Member I
Bill -

When I bought my E-27 in 99, it came with a porta potty. The thru hulls from the original head were still there, and I had the yard glass them over.

I sail on the Hudson River, and up here its a pretty strict "No Discharge" area, so porta potties are the way to go (versus lock the wye valve). When ever I have to bring it ashore, I wrap it in a large plastic garbage bag so it's less obvious. Never had a problem.

On the flip side, I crewed in the Around Long Island Race this summer on an Evelyn 41. The skipper had just installed a new head with over the side discharge. The system lasted one day before packing it in (manufacturing defect). Seven people can make a lot of waste in two days. It wasn't pretty. After the race, the owner had the unenviable task of disassembling the head, with a "full load", to make repairs.

The above might be something to consider, and with the right explanation, having a porta potty could be a positive rather than a negative selling point.

Tom Smith

Bill Robbins

Member II
Just a bit more thought.
I have used several types of marine sanitation devises.
-Electosan to overboard discharge-
-Straight overboard Discharge from head-
-Fixed holding tank with freshwater inlet and fixed head-
-Heads that use air pressure to push "it" down and out (microphore system) -
-The bucket-
-Hang it overboard (for both #1 and # 2)

My experience and opinion:

When I was younger and single:
I liked the "hang it over" and "bucket" option. It was easy to do and easy to keep clean. It really did not matter what size of boat.
When I was married I still liked this option, but the wife did not. This made the aforementioned not an option. Now We prefer straight overboard discharge. It is easy to clean and the smells are very minimal. Easy maintenance too if you get a good head and maintain it. This is illegal in most areas except offshore.

Several boats I have worked on as a Captain have had Electrosan. You pump directly into it. It macerates it up, electrically charges and kills bacteria. Then it pumps it overboard. This is legal in most areas. No holding tank required. This system is convenient if you have the battery to run it. The space to install the system is also minimal.
However I do remember my first day as the Captain of the research vessel Ed Rickets on Monterey Bay California. I went below to do my "morning duties." After I made my "deposit" I turned on the Electrosan, and it literally blew up in my face. Chunks of you know what all over me, the electrical bulkhead, autopilot..ect.ect... In short it was not working properly and the pressure built up over the past few days and the plastic tank failed.

I have worked on 15 or so boats that use holding tanks which are pumped out at a dock. On some smaller boats the location of holding tanks and space issues may be important. In general though they work well. However, and this is too big of a however for my nose, they ALL end up stinking. Venting them, hoses that seep out smell, joints to hose connections, all end up contributing to smell issues. Perhaps if I put in a system new, and I was the only one ever cleaning it, and maintaining it, the system would not be so bad. All previous systems had been maintained by multiple individuals.

Porta Potty ?????
I have not used one ever. The idea of its simplicity, mobility, legality, and ability to be cleaned well are all attractive to me. I have also heard from another web site (aol sailing board) that you can plumb a porta potty for overboard discharge. The resale concerne of glassing over the old through hulls is interesting though. But If I go the porta poty route I absolutly do not wont those valves exposed in such a kickable area. I would glass them over. I plan to own this boat for a few more years.

It will be interesting to hear other comments and experiences on this sensitive topic!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
You got me there...

Originally posted by Bill Robbins

...if I put in a system new, and I was the only one ever cleaning it, and maintaining it, the system would not be so bad. All previous systems had been maintained by multiple individuals...

I guess I would have to reconsider if I was dealing with a pre-existing system - but in this case, you are "starting new", as you have no current system at all.

In such a case, I think would still go the pump... I'm not sure what I would do if I was trying to use/keep an existing system. The 15 year old box and hoses I sent to the dump were so nasty, I could not imagine keeping them on board for any reason.

//sse

Jim Beach

OK, this may sound stupid, but I would install a new system, simply due to the effect on the resale of the boat. After installing this system, I would use it almost not at all. Most of the time I would use the bucket method. Some friends of ours that have cruised for around 10 years said they would try not to use it except as a last resort. It is really had to keep the smell down.
Fair Winds.:)