• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Splashing soon?

chrism

Inactive Member
I just painted the dinghy... Cleaned off the bottom perfectly. First coat of bottom paint applied. My Caribe has a special design on the underside of the hull to help it plane. I painted that, stepped back to marvel at my work and realised I hadn't marked the waterline where the scumline was. :esad:

Hopefully my guess will be close enough. Figure I'll do three or four coats? I've got one on it and depending on the weather tomorrow I could slap two more on after school tomorrow.

I hope to get down to the big girl sometime this week. My mom's been sick and in the hospital since Valentines day so there hasn't been a huge push to get the boat ready. The boat spent July - December in the water, but the power washing proved that there was no need to repaint this year (thank god)

My hopes for this month include Bristol Finish on the seatbacks and other teak in the cockpit, the companionway hatch, the dorade boxes, the hatches, and anything else that's teak and could be perty. Maybe the grabrails? Or should they just be cleaned? I also wanna do the cabin sole, maybe Bristol Finish for that too?

We also plan to have an electrician rewire the boat and install an electric Raritan toilet.

Who knows what else?

When's everyone else that spends the winter ashore getting launched?

Bye all!

Chris

Joe Benedict

Member II
Splashing May 14th. Had sleet last Saturday but mid-70's by end of week. Winter projects included re-repair of keel, painting hull, re-re-wiring of mast electrical, installation of Indigo prop, replacement of hatch vent with solar powered vent, genoa repair (Doyle, Chicago), A4 tuneup and swapping sides for halyards. Weather and health cut the list down.

Emerald

I think you'll really enjoy your Indigo prop. I put one on my E-27 and loved it. Wish there was an equivalent for my Yanmar 2QM15 in Emerald. I have terrible prop walk with the current one. Got splashed on 4/11 - Annapolis, MD.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Splashed" all year.

The good thing about living in Sunny Southern California is that we stay "Splashed" all year. I get out and sail at least once a month in the worst of winter. About every weekend the rest of the year. Bragging? Yup! I know what you Northern folks go through though. I lived in the Seattle / Puget Sound area for 16 years. I do miss the summer cruises through the Sound and into the San Juan's though. Here I only have eight offshore islands to play around.

:p

hodo

Member III
splashed

We stay wet up here in the northwest year around.It doesnt seem to matter whether the water under the hull or on the deck as long as the Espar is working. :cheers:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We stay "spashed" all year up here in Vancouver, Canada, and we live aboard our boat year 'round! We installed an Espar forced-air furnace last fall and echo the earlier sentiment about the boat being cozy when the Espar is running.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ker-Ploosh

After helping get the race boat ready (let's just say our cruiser does not get wet sanded down to 600 grit)...

We started in this winter on stripping and sanding our bottom to get rid of at least most of the 17 years of "2 coats please, mr. boatyard guy", we finally finished sanding last week. Let it be said that I wish someone had mentioned the term Soda Blasting to me before Christmas. We installed new instruments and their thru-hulls, then paint, buff and we went splash yesterday.
Sequoia will be making her season debut in a double handed race tomorrow. Hopefully the winds will stick around closer to the 10 kts than the 20 in the range the weather guys are giving.
Really glad to have her in, can't wait to see you all on the water!
Chris

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Lots of fun, but late on the start...

We were about 4-5 minutes late over the line due to some confusion about the starting sequence on our part. We ended up being 11th out of 12 boats.
We had a great time! Lots of fun and learned some new things about racing that we don't ever have to worry about crewing for someone else.

Chris

Attachments

• Sequoia 7 sm.JPG
    Sequoia 7 sm.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 96