• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor line splices

Gary G

Member II
I'm replacing an anchor line and am interested in some feedback as to the best way to splice the 3-strand nylon rode to the chain. I have found two very different methods of splicing and would like to know which (if either) is superior.

Method one calls for basically creating an eye splice where the first link in the chain acts somewhat like a thimble. The strands are pulled tightly around the first link and the rope is spliced back on itself (similar to what's done when creating an eye splice).

Method two is described on the page below and appears to be less common: http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

Thanks in advance for any comments.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Nothing special

Master Rigger Brion Toss was just asked this question on his web site (http://www.briontoss.com/wkstone/we...toss&Profile=message_board/showMessages.prof).

His reply was that the Bluemoment type splice rarely exceeded 70% of the breaking strength of the line when tested to destruction, while the more typical type of chain to rope splice taught by by New England Rope on their web site can readily achieve 85% of the breaking strength of the line.

However, there is a fancy "Traditional Irony" splice (which I have not tried myself) describe in Brion's book (The Riggers Apprentice) which is said to achieve near 100% of the strength of the line, IF you do it right. The book is well worth owning anyway, so it might be worth picking it up to see what he describes.

rob m

Just to complicate things I have seen a third method, similar to an eye splice, but with 2 of the strands threaded into the end link from one side and the third threaded from the other side. this is the splice recommended in most windlass instruction books today.

In my understanding the ''long splice'' method of warp to chain as you see in the bluemoment site is the superior one in terms of strength and longevity, and i think it is the one Brion Toss refers to in his book. However, this style will not pass over the now common rope/chain combo windlass gypsies.

I have used all three, and found the long splice version creates a stiff section of rope/chain about 12" long that is a bit of a pain in the stern to handle and flake. It also can hold more mud/slime/sealife than any other knot or splice i have ever used on ground tackle, and seems particularly resistant to giving up that cargo.

<http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/1994ropechainsplice.htm> shows test results for the simple short eye type splices. excerpt: "After tensioning, all anchor shackle pins were bent, shackle bodies were elongated, and the chain was stretched so that some links would no longer move relative to one another. This indicates that each assembly was close to the failure point of other components." now i have never seen that kind of damage to any working ground tackle!

fwiw, my opinion(s)

if you dont have a windlass, use thimbles and shackles. waaaaayyyyyy easier, more flexible to end-end the line, the chain, add line or chain, kellets, and easier if you want to regalvanize As a bonus, you get a stronger connection. mouse the shackles of course,and it will hold up just fine.

if on the other hand the extra moving parts of thimbles and shackles offend your sense of neatness, use the long version of the splice (learn to love the salty olfactory experience it delivers).

if you have a windlass, use either of the short eye splice variations, and inspect regularly and be ready to redo more often, remaining aware you lost some strength in the spice.

rob m

the link i tried to include didn't show up in the post:

go to: http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/1994ropechainsplice.htm