• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Choosing new marina

Mikebat

Member III
I'm choosing a new marina, currently berthed at Panay Way Marina, basin D at Marina del Rey. It's quite the dump, but was all I could get on short notice when I bought my boat. They plan to renovate the dock at some point, but I am not sticking around. I applied at three CYM (California Yacht Marina) locations in the L.A. area, and Cabrillo Marina called me this morning to say they have a 30' slip available. They have four locations, one at Cabrillo in San Pedro, just inside the breakwater, one at Wilmington Berth 202, one at Redondo harbor, and one at Chula Vista. Tenants have guest privileges at the other marinas.

I'm hoping someone can tell me if this CYM outfit is a good one, maybe you're berthed at one yourself. Or maybe you know another good marina I should look into.

Thanks.

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Mike:

Sorry to hear about your move. Moving sucks! Let me tell you about CYC in Chula Vista. I use to be next door to the marina and they run a great operation. If the other marinas are anything like Chula Vista you will be happy.

Don Anderson
Amigo E-27
Channel Islands

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I am at Cabrillo in San Pedro!

I am at Cabrillo in San Pedro. Berth #31 Slip B-40. I love it here. I have been here for three years and it has to be the best Marina in San Pedro. Close to the Angle's Gate entrance of the LA Harbor breakwater. It is also the closest to Catalina. About 23 miles to Two Harbors. It's nice and quiet with no Riff Raff and Junky Boats. It is also close the Cabrillo Beach and the Cabrillo Aquarium. Very Clean and well maintained. Come on Down! I understand slips are going fast. I also just bought a home in San Pedro last July, so I could be closer to my boat. http://www.cbyc.org/ :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
No Lack Of Wind Here!

One other thing about the Cabrillo Marina. It's smack dab in the middle of what they call Hurricane Gulch. The wind blows very hard and consistently in the afternoons in the Summer and most of the year for that matter. If your coming back from a relaxing weekend at Catalina, be prepared to reef the jib a bit when you pass the break water coming back. I have had it up to 28 knots in the Gulch. NO LACK OF WIND HERE! :eek:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oops, I posted the wrong link to my Marina in my first post.

Oops, I posted the wrong link to my Marina in my first post. That was for the Cabrillo Yacht Club not the California Yacht Marina, Cabrillo Marina. Here's the right link! http://www.cymcabrillo.com/ :esad:

windjunkee

Member III
Port Royal Marina

Voice of Reason is in Port Royal Marina, Redondo Beach. The seller had the slip there and we bought her in the water in late February. Port Royal is owned/operated by California Yacht Marina.
The dockmaster is wonderful, the docks are clean and well maintained and you can smell the food cooking from the Cheesecake Factory which is literally three steps away from the gate.
That said, we had to jump through some hoops to get the slip transferred to us. I understand that there has been a management change and some new rules are being enforced that are making some of the longer term tenants unhappy, especially when it comes to liveaboard status. I'm too new to the community there to be in on all the chatter about management issues, so I can't advise about all of them.
My experience is that I have great neighbors who look out for one another, the staff is friendly and responsive and I appreciate that it takes less than 5 minutes to be outside the breakwall.
There is a waiting list however.

I understand Portafino Marina may have temporary availability, but they are redoing their docks and don't know when that will happen. The whole King Harbor is pretty full up, especially if you have a boat that is 30 feet plus.

Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134

Mikebat

Member III
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like CYM Cabrillo is a good bet. I'm taking a look this weekend and bringing them copies of my documents and a photo of the boat.

windjunkee

Member III
Mike,

Just FYI, for my application for Port Royal Marina, I needed the completed application, a photo of the boat, copy of my insurance and a survey within the last 24 months.

Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134

Mikebat

Member III
After weighing some of the possibilities before me, I decided on CYM Wilmington (http://www.cymwilmington.com). The slips available to newcomers at CYM Cabrillo I learned are exposed to winds from Hurricane Gultch, and there is a waiting list to get off of them. This, plus the fact that CYM tenants get guest privs at other CYM marinas led me to CYM Wilmington, well protected up the San Pedro channel. It's also about $50/mo. cheaper than CYM Cabrillo. The facilities seem fine to me, much better than the dump I'm at in MDR (which has NO facilities at all, no bathroom, no shower, not even a sidewalk thanks to the condo construction). It's a bit out of the way, but there is ample parking for guests, even overnight. They also have a small quickie mart and chandlery, but the stocks are limited to basic stuff. Have to go to San Pedro or Long Beach for the nearest West Marine.

Google Maps view

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Congratulations on your new slip.

Congratulations on your new slip.

I was hoping to see you her at Cabrillo but I understand about saving $50 bucks a month. I wasn't aware that there were any slips that protected us from the winds at the Gulch. I know the Stink Pots get a lot of ripped canvas, but not so much with the sail boats. The winds seem to only really come up in the afternoon. You will still have to go through part of the Gulch when you return from the breakwater. Wilmington is the "Heart of the Harbor". As the sign says.

FYI, West Marine in San Pedro on Harbor Blvd. is much closer than the one in Long Beach. There's a good Diesel Shop in your area called S & W Diesel. Dair Sails used to be in Wilmington, but I think their gone. There is also a small marine supply store and outboard repair called Min Mar Marine. Let me know if have any other questions about the area. :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
I'm taking Valinor down to CYM Wilmington, leaving tomorrow morning before 10, I hope. I wonder, Jeff, if you'll be around your boat tomorrow at Cabrillo. I could stop and say hello.

If it turns out I don't like being up the channel, I can always change my mind and transfer to CYM Cabrillo. Or I could use a reciprocal slip down there for up to two weeks at a time, as often as they'll let me. :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
I just can't seem to win for losing. When I got to my new slip, some run-down P.O.S. stinkpot was in it! So I pulled into an adjacent empty slip, untied and walked the stinkpot out of my slip, put my boat in my slip, and tied up the stinkpot sideways behind my boat. Now I gotta go see if the marina management will do something about it.

But it was a nice day to be out on the water yesterday. Taking seriously everybody's advice about the winds at Hurricane Gultch, I took in a reef before I rounded the PV lighthouse. I may not have needed it, but since I had not yet used the jiffy-reefing on my new boat, it seemed like a good idea to try it in benign conditions first time out. Still had a good ride!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Welcome!

Hey Mike,

WELCOME!

I was out Saturday and had a constant 13 to 14 knots of wind and sailed half way to Catalina. When I came back in to the harbor and passed the lighthouse I had gusts up to 21 knots. I was hitting 7 knots on the log meter. I was a busy single hander but my little E-27 did not let me down. I did put three turns on my 140 Genoa with the furler. Probably should have took in a reef but I have done this many times before in the Gulch!

Boy are my arms tired! I will be heading to Two Harbors Friday Morning!

Jeff :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
Here I am coming around PV last weekend, heading to the new marina... Nice day!

Attachments

• Mikebat-at-helm.jpg
    Mikebat-at-helm.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 97