• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

360 degree rolls under Golden Gate Bridge

Dan Hayes

Member III
That - is - incredible!

Man, that was one bad day in the bay... you need to share that with the rest of the Ericson clan... what NOT to do when in San Francisco!

Can you imagine?

This link is going to every sailor I know - thanks...

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It looked to me like the rescuers sank the boat by climbing onto the stern. Im not sure that I need friends like that.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Holy Crap

Is this what it is like to pass underneath the Golden Gate? Or is this a wierd situation? Or Waves coming in against a swift current heading out? Damn, unbelievable!!!
Sorry about my amazement. I dont deal with currents, tides, and BIG F-ing waves. Totally cool though. Rob Hessenius

HGSail

Member III
This guy was in a spot right next to the presidio, And this known as a surf spot. Why he didn't stay on the other side of the bridge tower is beyond me.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Santana 22

Gotta love those old Santana 22's! This is the design that put Gary Mull on the map!

Good times,
S

ChrisS

Member III
This skipper was a 20 year Santana 22 sailor who was well aware of the "South Tower Demon." He was interviewed about the incident, but I can't remember why he took that route--most stay north of the South Tower.

The boat was demasted and swamped, but it didn't sink. The Coasties pumped it out and towed it in. I'm not sure if the skipper rerigged the boat and is still sailing it, or if he moved on. Dismastings are bad enough, but to roll your boat like that--yikes!

The photos were captured by a photographer taking shots of surfers. If I recall correctly, the break was out much further that day than normal.