• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Summer Bay Area Ericson Gathering?

jmoses

Member III
Hi all,

I took the initiative to start a new thread on a meeting of E-boat owners in the Bay Area. I figured a better title would help get some more attention as well.

Like I said, I'm pretty open and will attempt to get to a raft-up/gathering as it becomes firmed up. Just need to get the boat ready now!

Keep in mind Boat Show is two weeks away

John M...

corkhead

Julian Ashton
thanks, and good idea for a specific post. I like June 18, July 2 or pretty much any weekend. Do you anchor when at the ramp? It doesn't seem like much dock space there?

jmoses

Member III
Ramp

I've never had to anchor out at The Ramp. Usually, if I don't get dock space right away, I hang loose for a little while and a space become available. The longest I've had to wait was ~ 30 + minutes. The key is get there fairly early and bring an appetite and a thirst. If with another boat we'll raft up at the dock or sometimes an understanding boater will allow me to raft up (I ask first). It has always worked out som how with what little dock space they do have. It's not like Sam's at all - 99.8% people come by land.

John M.

boatboy

Inactive Member
Drake's Bay this weekend?

For what it's worth - we're thinking of heading up to Drake's Bay this coming weekend. Salmon season has opened and we're hoping to snap a couple on the way up as we go by Duxbury Reef All this is weather permitting of course. Anyone else interested? Our plan would be to sail to Horseshoe Cove on Friday evening after work so we can be well positioned for an early departure with the ebb out the Gate on Saturday morning.

Greg and Melissa

Guy Stevens

Any Intrest in an Ericson Rendeveau late summer 2005?

I was wondering if anyone might be interested in a Bay area rendeveau late summer 2005. Something a bit organized.

Sounds like there was some interest for July 25th or there abouts. Any feedback?

I would be willing to do some of the organizing if someone that knows the area were willing to help me with it.

This late in the process it would probably be some kind of a raft up casual thing somewhere where we can actualy do that kind of thing (Where would that be here?). Maybe with a little preplanning we could do one that would be better than the ones that they have in the Pacific Northwest! (Man those are great Rendeveaus!!!)

Guy Stevens
:)

Last edited:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Hi Guy,

July 25th is a Monday, but that weekend (23rd, 24th) would work fine for Melissa and myself. Last Summer we had an Ericson raftup in Clipper Cove (Treasure Island) that worked well. That space can certainly support a good number of boats anchored together in a raft-up with no reservations needed or financial cost. There is also a nice little beach there for those of us with four legged crew -- like us -- to run around. Totally flat water even when it's blowing like stink on the bay.

Last edited:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Guy,

From your profile I just learned that you have an E-46. Exciting. That's a boat I've really been wanting to see for awhile now.

If we decide to firm up this July weekend, I'll do what I can to help out from here in Berkeley -- pass out flyers, talk to local Ericson owners etc.

Last summer we had a relatively small turnout, but a very fun group of people. There were 3 39's, one 34 and a 30+. Fun.

I hope to see you around and get a chance to check out your boat.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_2216small.JPG
    IMG_2216small.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2223small.JPG
    IMG_2223small.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 334

jmoses

Member III
Count me in on Ericson Gathering

Hi all,

Sounds like something may be coming together. Count me in and shall we exchange e-mails to get this off the ground? I look forward to meeting some of the other fellow list members and having a look at some other Ericsons. I've got a 1972 E-35 MKII with a 35# cqr that should help in a raft up.

Shall we frim up the 23rd and/or 24th? For those of us that have the possibility to head out early, how does securing a mooring or two on Friday at ANgel Island sound? Or maybe Clipper Cove may be a better bet as Greg mentioned. It's pretty protected from the westerlies and the coasties are right there if we need them.....LOL

I'm open to other ideas, but as you all know, summer season is a busy time and it's tough to get space for more than a few boats at most places...I'd be happy to head out Friday and set up danger bouys that are labled "Mine Field"

As an aside, I'd also be glad to do some USCG Vessel Safety checks and award Vessel Safety Decals to those who pass, which I'm sure you all will :)

It's pretty easy to pass and if interested, I'll pass on the list of requirements, nothing serious and I'm sure you all have the required gear on board.

Let's get this organized!

John M. ericson_35@msn.com

corkhead

Julian Ashton
OK July 23rd it is. Clipper Cove sounds good too.
I can also arrive early Saturday to help reserve a spot.
We have lots of time to iron out any details, but the date should be set ASAP.

Would like a USCG sticker, thanks for the offer
Julian
E35-III (86)

boatboy

Inactive Member
July 23/24 Rendevous

Done deal. I'm looking forward to seeing a good turnout this year. Perhaps we set an official time of 4:00 for the gathering to start, but if anyone wants to get there earlier - great. It's so protected in there that I don't believe there will be any problem staying rafted together overnight while sleeping.

John, thanks for the offer of the inspection. I will definitely take you up on that. My email for anyone who wants to contact off-list is greg@windcruiser.net .

jmoses

Member III
I'm In assuming WX and boat is operational

All,

Sounds like the weekend of the 23rd/24th is the weekend of reckoning. Let's shoot for that period, weather permitting, but it shouldn't be an issue except the 35 knot gales that blow through july and aug.

I'll bring along plenty of vessel exam decals, forms and will preface the folks interested with what to expect and what to have on board. Keep in mind it's strictly voluntary and no enforcement action will be taken or reported...it's just a safety check and may even help on your insurance rate if you mention you passed the USCG's Vessel Safety check....insurance companies love that crap....

I'll forward the details on the exam to those interested as time approaches....It should be fun!

John M.

boatboy

Inactive Member
Ericson Gathering and Safety Inspection

John,

That's great about you being able to do the vessel safety check for those interested. If you could either email me, or make a posting to this list, all of the requirements, I will add it to the back of the flyer we will put on all Ericsons around the Berkeley Marina.

We are thinking of posting a notice with every Ericson quite soon so people can put it on their future calendar. As the event gets much closer we will probably do some sort of reminder.

Greg

Traveler

Member I
Rendezvous AHOY

Hullo fellow vikings! :egrin:

I have not been checking in much over the winter due to my usual spate of boat project-mongering, but Greg / Pacifica did me the kindness of sending me an email about the conversation going on here about having a second Norcal Ericson Rendezvous.

Count me IN! I'll bring spare fenders, and make sure my fire extinguishers are current so I can have a sticker too.

I will also try to get in touch with Tony and Terry of the famous E39 Maverick, who also made the last raft up with us. She is up for sale but at last word had not sold yet so they might be able to bring her, or if she has sold I will find out if they want to come along on Traveler.

Guy Stevens

What next?

Sounds like we have consensus on July 23 and 24th. Sounds like the venue is a raft up in Clipper Cove.

From the current response from the list here it looks like we have 2x35’s, a 39B, a 39, and a 46.

Being new to the area, I am unfamiliar with the whole Anchoring out in Clipper Cove protocol; do we need to tell anyone? Is there a charge? Lat and Long? Depth? Wind? Current? Anything that those people that don’t normally anchor out in the Bay area might like to know.

If I can get more information I would be happy to make up a flier for the event, and we could each print out one or more and hang them at our respective marinas.

Anything that anyone would like to happen as far as organized events at the rendezvous? Dingy races, revolving cocktail party, timed engine bleeding, line toss, for distance and accuracy, Guy and Melissa's dog and pony show of the 35,000 mile trip around the south pacific ocean, awards for the best and worst sea story? :cheers:

Thanks,
Guy
:)

boatboy

Inactive Member
Lore and Bill, from last year's gathering, say they will be there with their 34. I'm fairly certain we'll also get a decent number of other boats signed up as well.

We made up a flyer that we will be handing out to Ericsons in our marina - Berkeley. If anyone else wants it, we could email a copy so you could print some up and hand them out locally.

As far as events go, we are very interested in Guy and Melissa's dog and pony show. While looking at your web site I noticed that you lost your previous boat, an E 39. That ought to be a good story as well. Last year we had Tony and Terry with their 39 Maverick, who had recently completed a circumnavigation.

Anchoring in Clipper Cove is simple. No reservations are needed, nor is there any fee. Current is no issue. The only concern for depth is while entering the cove; you will want to stay towards the North side of the entrance, as it is shoaly on the South side. Just look at your chart and keep an eye on the depth meter. It's a muddy bottom that holds well. There will be no wind waves or wakes from ships, so no rolling. There is not much protection from the wind however, but it is flat. There is a beach you can land a dinghy at (with no waves), or for a fee you can use the marina's dinghy dock. Oh, and by the way, anchoring in this cove is officially not allowed, but I don't believe this has ever been enforced. ;) No worries.

We are going to try to get Latitude 38 to print a notice in it's calendar.

Greg
greg@windcruiser.net

boatgirl

Inactive Member
Activity idea for raft up

Hi, I'm trying to think up some ideas for the raft up... Definately like the "boat drink" or "Boat appetizer" idea...I think it'll be a great encouragement to keep us mingling boat to boat.

Another idea, is maybe a boat naming contest for John (jmoses)? Hope that doesn't affect whether we get a sticker -- but she needs a name, and if it's lack of ideas, lets all put our heads together????

Melissa
s/v Pacifica, E-39B

boatboy

Inactive Member
... a few more attendees

A few more people have mentioned they are planning to attend. First of all there is Howard Keiper with his E-35. He actually mentioned this himself when he made a posting that got attached to the thread about last year's raft-up.

Dan Scheer, who keeps his E-38 in Berkeley, is planning on attending. Fred Klammt, he too of Berkeley, has also expressed interest in bringing his Ericson (not sure which model).

By my count, we are up to at least 10 boats -- and I'm sure there will be more to come. We sent in a listing to Latitude 38 for their calendar, and Gary (Traveler) either will or has distributed flyers in Alameda.

This should be fun.