• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 lists to starboard

sailingdeacon

Member III
I really love my newly acquired 1987 E34. A great sailing boat. But does anyone know why it would list slightly to starboard. The fuel tank is just to the port of center. The port water tank is full, starboard is empty. Head and empty holding tank is to starboard. I don't have a clue? Any other Ericsons like this??

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Mine lists too...

Yeah, I know, I know. Mine lists about one degree to starboard as well - and from what I've heard, they all do (design flaw).

It bugs me sometimes more than others - and I've even considered adding some weight into the port locker where the holding tank wing used to be to try and counter it (fat chunk of bronze?).

Looks like old episodes of "Batman", you know....

//sse

sailingdeacon

Member III
When I bought the boat the former owner had outfitted it for cruising and had 4 additional batteries on the port side: a 4d and 2 grp 30's under the galley area and a 8d under the after bunk. I reduced down to a single 8d and one gp 30 in that area - but did so the day I got the boat so I did not notice what the list had been. Perhaps he solved the listing problem. But now I can put a round pencil on a flat service and it rolls immediately to starboard. Sounds like more than 1 degree to me.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My PO added an 8D on the starboard side - creating (or increasing) the problem. You might want to try and figure out what the weight difference is (was) and add some temporary weight to that side to see if it corrects. Otherwise, you basically have to re-balance the boat.

Don't you have something to indicate the degree of heeling while sailing? Mine shows about one degree typically. sometimes two.

//sse