• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gathering of the So. Cal. Vikings at Two Harbors (Isthmus) on Catalina Island.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Gathering of the So. Cal. Vikings at Two Harbors (Isthmus) on Catalina Island.

There has been a considerable amount of discussion about a Gathering of Ericson Owners under the post: "So. Cal. Sailors where are they". I have sort of taken the helm to try to organize a gathering at Two Harbors (Isthmus) on Catalina Island. I know that Don Anderson out of Channel Islands harbor and Martin King out of Long Beach both expressed interest. I sail out of San Pedro. I would love to hear from others interested and try to nail down a firm date.

Possible Dates:

Easter Weekend, March 25th - 27th

Earth Day Weekend, April 22nd - 24th

Memorial Day Weekend, May 28th - 30th

I basically just pulled these dates at random. In my limited experience sailing to Catalina (about a dozen times), the conditions can still be a little sketchy in the spring but the advantages of avoiding the overcrowding in the summer out weigh a few small craft warnings. But hey, who's to worry about a little rough weather, we sail Ericsons!

I would love to compile a list of committed parties. It would also be fun to establish a VHF channel to communicate on while making our various crossings.

Responses and suggestions welcome.

ARE YOU GAME?

Thank You

:egrin:

Attachments

• Catalina.gif
    Catalina.gif
    77 KB · Views: 726

Geoff Nelson

Member II
So cal Ericson gathering

I am game for the May dates. May be crowded but it sounds like fun and we'll struggle through. I'd come up from San Diego.

FYI- the April dates coincide with the Newport-Ensenada race.

Cheers,

Geoff Nelson
Pau Hana
Ericson 381
San Diego

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I try to avoid the place on any major holiday weekend in the summer
starting with Memorial day. On these dates at Isthmus, you need to
own a mooring or know someone who does if you plan to arrive on a
Friday or Saturday. The anchoring option isn't great. The "anchorage"
there (if it can be called that) is lousy-an open roadsted, 80ft+, and
often rolly from boatwakes if nothing else. So I would suggest any other
weekend in May-June and check in with the facility there to see if
it is booked by anyone else. Also the participants need to decide how
organized an event they want. Is this strictly an informal get together to
swap stories or do you want to organize a regatta as well? Who wants
to head up this posse? I've already tried this a few years back-with the
support of Pacific Seacraft and let's just say that the turnout of
Ericson owners for that event was disappointing.

Martin

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I agree that the big holidays can be busy

I agree that the big holidays can be busy but so can any weekend in the middle of the summer. I also know if you get there a day early it's easier to get a mooring before all the big stink pots start arriving.

Lets just try to find a date that at least some of us can agree on. I am not looking for a Regatta or anything that is too organized. I also would not be disappointed if I was the only Ericson at the Isthmus. This would simply be a trial run to see if a Gathering of the Vikings flys. Of corse we would know what to look for, other Ericsons. We could simply establish a VHF channel to communicate on and organize a shore gathering for a specific time and do some kind of pot luck BBQ. That has been my experience at a couple of Cal meetings I crashed at Howlings Landing.

Jeff :egrin:

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Jeff

The trip sounds good. The only problem on my end is that I'm just now putting my engine back in. And I'm also getting new canvas and sails.

The other problem is that my weekend is Monday and Tuesday. I also won't know when my vacation is for another couple of weeks. If I don't make it down there this time, then maybe next year. I will be going to Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa alot this summer, And if anybody makes it up here let me know.

Davis
E-29
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

bigtyme805

Member III
Jeff

Since you started it I am nominating you for the captain of the team. I will go whatever date we decide on. I will just need some advance notice so I can have the luxury of letting my patients know that I am going to Catalina.

Jeff one thing I do know is that most of the sailors in this area will not be up for sailing until the end of May. Weather is a big key for most of them along with safety.

This winter I have not encountered many people out sailing. The seas have been rough and the winds generally big. To have a good turnout we would probably want to go during the primetime.

Is it possible to secure some space at one of the anchorages? Since I have never been to Catalina I have no idea how it works. I know from talk that it is usually first come first serve. Is that true?

At the Channel Islands Harbor I will post up some flyers on the event when I know some set times. Each Marina has a billboard and I will make the flyers. I will do it for Ventura Harbor also. A lot of the Ericson owners in this area don't use this website, maybe don't know about it or have little time.

I will do my part.

Don Anderson
E-27 Amigo
Channel Islands/Bahia Cabrillo Yacht Anchorage

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yes, weather has got to be a concern this year.

Yes, weather has got to be a concern this year. Maybe spring is to early. I know I will be sailing to Catalina as early as April though. I have an advantage living in San Pedro where I can watch the weather closely and get up and go if it permits. Making long term plans and trying to predict what it will be like a Month from now is a little more difficult. As far as how it works at Catalina is, that it is first come, first serve. I will call the office at Two Harbors and see if they have any suggestions. In the mean time I would like to hear as many opinions from other interested Ericson owners as to what dates would work for a majority.

Summer may be better for all.

I appreciate your hanging in there Don! So far there only seems to be a handful of only some what interested parties. All I know is I will be sailing to Catalina every chance I get this spring and summer.

Skipper Jeff, standing by.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Cinco de Mayo?

April seems to be the only month of the year that my sailing plans are consistently cancelled due to high wind and general nastiness. We usually have good luck heading over to the Isthmus in the month of May though. I will certainly try to make what ever weekend you guys decide on. I have been enjoying this forum for a few years now, but I'm yet to meet anyone from it. I would very much look forward to seeing the fleet.

Geoff Nelson

Member II
Catalina in May or July

As a side note... I am planning an excursion from SD to the Channel Isl in July (over the July 4th w/end). Prob stop and explore some other Isl as well mid-trip (it is the journey, not the destination, right?). Is there any interest in a(nother) gathering there/then if May fails? (not to steal your thunder, Jeff- I'm still in for May)

Any suggestions on where to go- I have only been to San Clemente and Catalina and want to see cool landforms, hike, scuba and kayak.

Cheers,

Geoff

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Geoff,

If you make it up to Santa Cruz, There is good hiking from Pelicans to Prisoners ( about 2mi). And also from Prisoners to Smugglers and Scorpion coves (14.5mi). Coches Preitos on the back side also has some good hikes. If you don't make it up this way too often you must see the Painted Cave. I could go on and on about this Island and the rest of the rocks up here. If I can get vacation around that time maybe I'll see you out there. Also if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Davis
E-29
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
Gathering of the So. Cal. Vikings at Two Harbors (Isthmus) on Catalina Island

Right now we're expecting to head over on 3-18 or 19, returning to MDR on the 20th or 21st, turning it into a 3 or 4 day weekend. That's assuming that the weather cooperates and nothing else gets in the way. I think there is at least one other Ericson which is tentatively heading over that weekend.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds good enough for me Sven!

Sounds good enough for me Sven. Yes weather has to be a consideration but I am game for a 3-18 or 19 visit to two harbors. As long as the weathers good it should be nice an green over there. Lets keep in touch! Any others interested in a March Gathering?

Skipper Jeff, "Pride of Cucamonga" 1973 E-27 Hull # 355 :egrin: :egrin:

Mikebat

Member III
I'm a new Ericson owner and a new boat owner (this is my first!). I sail out of MDR, and would love to meet up at the Isthmus. I imagine if you pick any weekend, you might find me there anyway, being a new sailor and all, with a new boat. Although, some more experienced sailors made some comments about weather in the channel during April, which may modify my enthusiasm if they turn out to be true. :egrin: I'm planning to sail this weekend, even if it's just to poke my nose out of the harbor.

Oh rats. March 18/19 is a weekend I am scheduled for on-call at work. I could exchange weekends with a co-worker if that's the weekend we decide to meet. The bottom line is that I'm down for it. :cool:

Sven

Seglare
Sven said:
Right now we're expecting to head over on 3-18 or 19, returning to MDR on the 20th or 21st, turning it into a 3 or 4 day weekend. That's assuming that the weather cooperates and nothing else gets in the way. I think there is at least one other Ericson which is tentatively heading over that weekend.

Last night we met up with Glyn and Marilyn and they confirmed that they are on for that weekend. If Jeff and Mike also decide to go we'll have four of us.

Now we just hope that the weather holds !

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Will have to keep a close watch on the weather conditions.

It's been a bit gusty lately. Will have to keep a close watch on the weather conditions.

For those of you interested in monitoring the Southern California Weather conditions, check out these two web sites.

Offshore Surface Wind Conditions
http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~weather/mugu/mesodata/loop_wshr.html

NOAA's Marine Forecast Site for Southern California
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/west/loxmz.htm

Samples of web sites I monitor:

Attachments

• WindSite.jpg
    WindSite.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 139
  • NOAA.jpg
    NOAA.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 142

Sven

Seglare
Sven said:
Last night we met up with Glyn and Marilyn and they confirmed that they are on for that weekend. If Jeff and Mike also decide to go we'll have four of us.

Now we just hope that the weather holds !

Slight tweak to the plan ... that weekend is the beginning of spring break so we will sail over on Thursday 3-17 and return on Sunday 3-20. Might as well beat the crowd if there is one. La Petite can always fit on the stringline, but Dawn Treader certainly can't and morings are a lot nicer, with more space.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Sven said:
Slight tweak to the plan ... that weekend is the beginning of spring break so we will sail over on Thursday 3-17 and return on Sunday 3-20. Might as well beat the crowd if there is one.

You think there will be a crowd? I haven't got decent ground tackle for my (new to me) E32 yet, so I am dependent on the moorings at Two Harbors. The boat was only day-sailed on S.F. Bay before I bought her. I have two anchors and some chain, but they are small and there is not enough rode for deep water anchoring.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I plan on getting a mooring can as well!

Mike,

I plan on getting a mooring can as well. I really don't expect that big of a crowd. Still early in the season. At worst they would put you a few hundred yards away around the corner at Cherry Cove or 4th of July Cove. Can't wait to get over there! :egrin: